My cat swallowed a straw

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So recently, my cat swallowed a straw, honestly I didn't even know he did until he threw it up. I'm glad it got out of his system, but what really concerned me was the fact that the orange colour of the straw had completely gone away and it had turned clear.
He probably ate it last night. I can give some context as to why he got the straw, but the not complex reason was he loves playing with them, which I'm now realizing are attempts to eat them.

I actually saw a bit of orange pigment WITHIN the straw like it had gone inside. Don't know if its relevant, but I wanted to add that. Also the throw-up was accompanied by saliva.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi,
Can you find something else, maybe silvervine (but not too much?) to replace his straw addiction?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully, there is no straw left in his digestive tract. Can you tell for sure how much he ingested and if there is any chance there is any left in his system?

As far as the coloring, stomach acids probably 'washed away' the coloring. Tells you so much about what stomach acids can do, but also about how much the straws are 'indestructible' - and a real hazard.

Keep an eye on him for signs of a digestive issue beyond just throwing up.