My cat suddenly stopped eating her dry food

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She used to gobble it up whenever it got dispensed but now she’s not eating it at all for the last 2 days. She’s acting normal and still eating her wet food, she’s also eating her hard greenies treats so I don’t think it’s something with pain in her mouth or teeth. Any idea what’s going on? Did she suddenly stop liking the kind of dry food I give her? Should I try another type?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
A couple of things come to mind. You say her food is "dispensed". Do you use an automatic feeder? Does it need cleaning or is the food getting stale?

Is this a bag of dry food that has been opened for a while, or a new bag of her regular food that you've just opened? Sometimes the dry food can go stale or get a little damp without you noticing and this makes it taste bad to the cats. New batches of food can occasionally be tainted with something in production. It might not always be anything dangerous to the cat, but it can affect the taste.

Even if she will still eat her dry treats I wouldn't rule out dental problems. A bit of discomfort means cats will stop eating dry food, but still make the effort for dry treats. Has she had her teeth checked recently?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A couple of things come to mind. You say her food is "dispensed". Do you use an automatic feeder? Does it need cleaning or is the food getting stale?

Is this a bag of dry food that has been opened for a while, or a new bag of her regular food that you've just opened? Sometimes the dry food can go stale or get a little damp without you noticing and this makes it taste bad to the cats. New batches of food can occasionally be tainted with something in production. It might not always be anything dangerous to the cat, but it can affect the taste.

Even if she will still eat her dry treats I wouldn't rule out dental problems. A bit of discomfort means cats will stop eating dry food, but still make the effort for dry treats. Has she had her teeth checked recently?
She was just at the vet two weeks ago for a checkup and there were no teeth issues. Yes it an automatic dispenser and I actually just cleaned her bowl yesterday thinking it might be too dirty and that’s why she’s not eating it. The bag has been opened for a while but I’ve had bags like that before and she didn’t stop eating it. Maybe something is up with this particular bag. I’ll buy a new one and see if she still won’t eat it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is she? I know that after my cat hit a certain age, she decided she just didn't like dry food anymore. No teeth issues, and at that time, no health issues either. She just plain decided she didn't want dry food anymore. Go figure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is she? I know that after my cat hit a certain age, she decided she just didn't like dry food anymore. No teeth issues, and at that time, no health issues either. She just plain decided she didn't want dry food anymore. Go figure.
She’s turning 5 next month.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, Feeby didn't decide she didn't like dry food until about 10 (she's 18+yo), but no matter one way or the other. Try another bag and see what happens, and then go from there.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes they just decide they don't like what they used to love... or that they love what they used to refuse. One of our cats decided a month or so ago that she didn't want her wet food, she only wanted the dry food we'd been using as treats and toppers. She wouldn't touch wet food, other than Fancy Feast. We kept offering her wet food, though, and yesterday she stole her sister's afternoon snack, which was just wet food! Lots of things can happen: batches of food can vary and cats can be famously fickle.