My Cat Smells Like Litter

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently switched to a different litter because the store was out of my normal kind and it makes my cat seriously stink. She tends to play around in her litter box once I clean it but she ends up smelling awful with this brand and it has been driving me nuts since she sleeps on my chest at night and that smell makes it hard to fall asleep. Any one else ever have this problem? Is there anything I can do to make her smell better until I run out of this bag? I dont really want to waste it since I bought a huge container of it... Maybe a good brand of dry shampoo for cats? she doesnt like baths what so ever so that's out of the question. Welcome to any suggestions

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate when that happens. Back years ago when i used clay litter, or any litter with fragrance, my cats would smell like litter too. Nasty smell when they want to cuddle in bed at night. I dont know of any way to keep her from smelling as long as you are using the litter.

I now only use grass based litter, Litter maid, a walnut litter i get from walmart, or dr. elseys respiratory relief silica crystal litter. No dust and no smell. I am trying a new coconut litter too, only been a few days so im still on the fence with it now. But the cats love it, also no smell or dust.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet some paper towels and wipe her down gently, it might help getting some of the smells off her. We do this when we bring a cat home from the vet to try to get rid of the smells so the other cats don't hiss and freak out!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Along with the suggestion of wiping her down, could you add some baking soda to the litter? If you have some potting soil, try adding that too.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could buy some of your preferred litter, or an unscented variety, and mix them 50/50. That might dull the scent enough for you to stand it.

I know what you mean! There was one brand I tried that got the scent all over everything. Even after I used it up, I could smell it every time I moved something or disturbed some dust. It was so strong!

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had this problem with the Clump and Seals, even though unscented. Liked the litter, no pee/poop smell, but I could smell the litter itself the minute I walked into the house. I switched to Fresh Step Unscented and mixed it with the remaining Clump & Seal and that did the trick.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm also very careful with which litter brands I buy. Some clay litters give an off smell thats funky to me. I use heart's clumping litter scented in lavender. Its so light you can barely smell the lavender but its soothing to Gypsy so I use it. Another brand I like is the Tidy Cat for multiple cats or immediate odor control.

One I remember as hating was the one from Petco. It left that funky smell so bad I had to throw it out. Ugh!!