My Cat Situation Is Complicated And A Huge Mess..need Any Advice Asap

aemme98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Things have been crazy lately. I just fully moved in with my boyfriend halfway across the country. I had spent a couple months with him before with only some of my stuff, but now I have brought everything with me. Prior to the move, I lived with my parents and with my cat that I adopted since she was 9 weeks old. She's kind of a skittish cat, but she's very affectionate and loving toward me. I believe she's skittish because the shelter told me they found her in a cardboard box on the side of the road, so whatever her life was before must have traumatized her. I did not have her with me in the first couple of months living with my boyfriend out here. My parents told me that after I left, she changed and seemed to be more stressed out. When I came back for the rest of my stuff, she gave me the cold shoulder at first, but then eventually warmed up to me again.
Meanwhile, in those couple of months with my boyfriend, he already had a dog and that was it. Then after about a month, we had two kittens brought to us. We were only expecting one. We didnt really mind, as we tried to bring the kittens and the dog together. It took a while, but the kittens are only at the level of barely tolerating our dog. Also, the kittens are siblings and were very playful and affectionate, especially with each other.
Now, after being gone for two weeks to move all the rest of my stuff in and bringing my original cat over, our house feels like a warzone. My older cat was originally freaked out by our affectionate dog because he was so excited to see us and went a little crazy. Dogs being dogs, he went up to her carrier and nudged her around to sniff her, which she wasn't too thrilled about and growling ensued. Well, the kittens came around and heard the growling, thinking she had beef with them. The older cat was just curious about them, but one of the kittens struck her. Now scared and panicked, when the other kitten approached her, she struck the kitten in fear because the kitten was growling at her too.
But here's where it gets worse. One of the kittens has gone so crazy and scared, I dont even recognize this kitten anymore. She will growl at nothing. She will growl at her sibling now. Now the two kittens hate each other as well. The older cat is just confused because she's in a new environment with new faces. She's scared and nervous. When things calm down or when she's away from the kittens for a while, she's very clingy and vocal with me. She follows me everywhere. But when she sees the kittens, she doesn't do anything unless she feels threatened. Most of the time she walks away, but sometimes she strikes when the kittens are really upset with her. And now while the older kitty is stressed, she takes it out on me and will strike me if I try to pet her.
We literally dont know what to do. All of these cats hate each other now and all I can do is blame myself for taking the older cat out of her comfortable environment. I've heard about the wall plug-ins that diffuse pheromones but that's all I can think of and I dont even know if they work. I dont want to get rid of any of them either. I just need something.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many rooms do you have that you could use to separate pissed off parties? You have 4 parties not getting along, but I think you can probably get by with 3 rooms -- dog, older cat, 2 kittens. Yes, the kittens are pissed off at each other, but they are likely to be the quickest to get over it if removed from the stress of the dog and big cat. You can then adapt the introductions guide -- the main introduction guide is linked inside the fixing bad introductions guide linked above

Get some feliway diffusers for sure.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to give you links to what will feel like a LOT of articles, but they are all easy reads, and have invaluable information. Each of them will deal with a facet of this issue, so do read them all.

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home (old cat, new home pretty much the same)
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Introducing Cats To Dogs

It looks like FAR more than it really is, I promise!

Now, and this is important, you really should have 4 litter boxes, one for each cat, plus one, and they should be placed so that the dog is not able to disturb the cats when they are pottying. That's kinda critical. If something the size of a horse, with long teeth, hovered over you every time you went in the bathroom, you might resort to using a dark closet, too!