My Cat Ruined My Girlfriend's Roommate Property:

Djonte2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a slight dilemma. My girlfriend and her roommate have been living together for about half a year. I know for a fact before they signed the lease, that my gf mentioned she had cats. Apparently, her roommate is used to well-behaved cats. I wouldn't say my gf's cats are feral-like, but they're very playful. To reduce the complaints from her roommate about her cat scratching up the furniture, she gave me her cat and got a well-behaved cat from the humane society. Once the couches were scratched, her roommate repeatedly said that my gf did not have to pay her back because it was a gift from her boss and gave the couch to my gf. Now that gf's moving out she's asking me to pay for the couch. I don't believe either of us has to pay.

Mind that her roommate hasn't paid my gf for the internet bill that she owes either and my gf's roommate is currently travelingand hasn't paid her rent for January 1st and is asking my gf to pay her part of the rent.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I certainly don’t think you are responsible for the couch so I would just ignore the request and let those two sort it out. I hope that you and the gf’s cat are doing well together.

mel_why_ssa

Cat Lady with Dogs
Young Cat
Purraise
If my roommate ruined my furniture, I would expect a repair or replacement. If I didn't have a cat and my roommate's cat scratched up my furniture, I would expect a repair or replacement. It's only right to repair or replace what you (or your friends, pets, etc.) ruined of your roommate's. I would offer the same respect and consideration back so that's what I expect. If my roommate didn't offer, then I would move out as soon as possible because of the lack of respect.

HOWEVER! If I specifically said to my roommate, "Don't worry about it, you don't have to pay me back," or words to that effect at any given time, then I wouldn't bring it up later. So no, I don't think you are responsible. But to be clear that has nothing to do with your girlfriend's roommate's lack of payment for utilities/rent. Those issues are mutually exclusive.

Your girlfriend's roommate sounds very immature, IMO.

Good luck! These things can be tricky!! :alright: