My cat recently got neutered, does it look a normal? VIEWER DISCRETION

deezist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please don’t click if you get queasy easily!! I included a photo so viewer discretion. :)
Hi, all! My male cat got sterilized about 4 days ago, and the site is looking a little rough.
For a little info, we didn’t realize we shouldn’t use clay litter so we quickly switched to paper. I’m not sure if we should try to clean off the litter on the site, or if that’d make it worse. Also, his butt is also looking a little irritated!

We are hoping to see the vet on Monday, but they have limited spots.

Please let me know! Anything helps.

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't look too bad. Keep an eye on it. If it starts oozing pus or they get really angry red, then he'll need a visit to the vet. You can also try emailing the pic to the vet and see if you get an answer that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deezist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It doesn't look too bad. Keep an eye on it. If it starts oozing pus or they get really angry red, then he'll need a visit to the vet. You can also try emailing the pic to the vet and see if you get an answer that way.
thank you, I appreciate you!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That doesn't look entirly normal to me. The one looks like it maybe popped opened or he ripped the stitches out.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that it does look like it has popped a stitch or ripped open..
If i were you I would send the picture to your vet and see what they say.
I say this because this is not what a normal healing neuter should look like. It very well be fine and not need any medical intervention but I'd at least call the vet and see. I'd hate to see it get infected being wide open like that. Does he have a cone? If so I'd put that on him so he isnt licking or chewing st the neuter site. You may not even see this behavior, he could be scratching/chewing st the neuter site without you knowing..

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It doesn’t look great, that’s for sure. But I would think it can wait until Monday, provided your cat is eating and drinking and acting ok. The vet may want to give him some antibiotics in case he did get some clay litter in there that is causing the swelling and what looks like it could be maybe some delayed healing and possibly the start of an infection. Maybe.

I amnot a veterinarian and do not have a license, so, I am not saying that is what is going on. I am just guessing.

in my experience, the majority of cat neuters are not sutured. Usually there is either one incision that the testicles are pulled out of, and then tied off or sometimes tied off with a suture. Then, tucked back up inside the scrotum. Sometimes there are 2 small incisions made on each side, as in your cats case, I think. Both methods work fine.

Usually you see more healing after 4 days. But perhaps the litter did get into it.

Did they give you a cone to prevent him from licking? If not, still not a bad idea to let him clean himself, as long as he doesn’t bite himself or obsess.

No matter what, don’t put anything topical on it.

deezist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. It doesn’t look great, that’s for sure. But I would think it can wait until Monday, provided your cat is eating and drinking and acting ok. The vet may want to give him some antibiotics in case he did get some clay litter in there that is causing the swelling and what looks like it could be maybe some delayed healing and possibly the start of an infection. Maybe.

I amnot a veterinarian and do not have a license, so, I am not saying that is what is going on. I am just guessing.

in my experience, the majority of cat neuters are not sutured. Usually there is either one incision that the testicles are pulled out of, and then tied off or sometimes tied off with a suture. Then, tucked back up inside the scrotum. Sometimes there are 2 small incisions made on each side, as in your cats case, I think. Both methods work fine.

Usually you see more healing after 4 days. But perhaps the litter did get into it.

Did they give you a cone to prevent him from licking? If not, still not a bad idea to let him clean himself, as long as he doesn’t bite himself or obsess.

No matter what, don’t put anything topical on it.
Please don’t click if you get queasy easily!! I included a photo so viewer discretion. :)
Hi, all! My male cat got sterilized about 4 days ago, and the site is looking a little rough.
For a little info, we didn’t realize we shouldn’t use clay litter so we quickly switched to paper. I’m not sure if we should try to clean off the litter on the site, or if that’d make it worse. Also, his butt is also looking a little irritated!

a little update: he’s not acting strange and he is eating and drinking. He is using the bathroom, and I haven’t noticed any blood in his pee.
His vet is closed on Monday, but I’m going to call them Tuesday to get him in. It’s a tough time where I’m located due to the massive influx of patients. If they give me a too-far out date, I will find somewhere else that will take him. Also, he does have a cone but he slipped it off around his 4th day while I was sleeping and that certainly didn’t help the healing process.
Thank you guys for all your feedback!

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently took in a stray that was neutered by a shelter that has a spay and neuter clinic. The surgical site looked worse than yours but he did not seem to be bothered by anything, after 3 days I noticed small spots of blood on the towel he was sleeping on and when I picked him up he felt too warm to me so I took his temp and sure enough, he had a fever . I took him to my vet and they said the surgical site looked swollen although there was no discharge from it and he still had a fever so he got a Convenia injection and sent home with Onsior tablets. After a couple of days he was fine and the site was beginning to look better and finally completely healed. I have had many male cats over the years and I never had any issues like this before. Generally there are no stitches with a neuter, I have watched the procedure and it is quick and simple so I was really surprised at the problems with this one.
Hope you guy is ok and there is no infection.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Kabuto had just been neutered at aprox 18 months when I adopted him and he had two stitches. I have never heard of them not closing an incision before and it honestly would shock me if vets didn't close it back up.

Budweiser who we had when I was fairly young was never neutered but he was a barn cat. Or maybe they did neuter him when they fixed his fractured rib idk.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They don’t close the scrotum after the neuter because it leaves the surgery site at risk of infection. It is also very irritating for an animal to have sutures in the scrotum.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Must depend on the vet then. Now that i think about it, Kabuto had krazy glue not stitches. Not krazy glue but was like a sterile version of it.

He was mature too when it was done.

Last edited:

deezist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

late update! (hopefully)
hey guys! I took him to the vet and they said that his scrotum was flipping outwards instead of staying inwards. (She said it sort of nonchalant, and then said it happened a lot with overactive kitties) They washed him up real nice and gave him some antibiotics and told me it should all be okay in 7-10 days. Thank you guys so much for all your feedback!!