My cat pants like a dog lol

ammoravidge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is our kitten Ammo. When he gets excited he pants with his tongue out like a dog. Does anyone else's cat do this?

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lynxx
did once, that's how we found out he had asthma. He only ever had 1 asthma attack. But he panted just like your cat. Except he was laying on the floor and not moving around.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to err on the side of caution, I would really recommend you have your vet check your kitty's heart/lungs and make sure nothing is going on; he shouldn't be panting excessively like that. If everything checks out fine with the vet, then your mind will be at ease.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Just to err on the side of caution, I would really recommend you have your vet check your kitty's heart/lungs and make sure nothing is going on; he shouldn't be panting excessively like that. If everything checks out fine with the vet, then your mind will be at ease.
That's exactly what I was going to say. It looks like it might be a lack of oxygen.

My Dusty did that once about 6 years ago. We were having a violent thunderstorm, and she was so scared that she hyperventilated. It's never happened since, so I'm sure it was fear and it was when we first adopted her/or she adopted us.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Panting in cats is not normal... It can be a sign of heart disease for example... To be on the safe side, I would really recommend taking your cat to the vet...
My cat also pants - she has a heart murmur but her heart is not enlarged as per her last chest x-ray. Even so, her vet wants me to get an ultrasound when she gets a little older... I am considering scanning her for HCM as well...

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've known healthy longhairs that pant, but usually it's a health concern in shorthair cats. I would take the cat to the vet and have all the heart and lung tests run.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well from the video it looks like the kitty is playing with a laser toy. Jake always pants after chasing that laser like a lunatic, lol...
It's normal after really intense play.
Otherwise, it needs to be checked by a vet.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Well from the video it looks like the kitty is playing with a laser toy. Jake always pants after chasing that laser like a lunatic, lol...
It's normal after really intense play.
Otherwise, it needs to be checked by a vet.
I agree, it looks like he was playing hard for a while before the video was taken. Harley used to pant like that after chasing a laser light or toy when he was about that age. I'm guessing still under 2 years? But I would still bring that up at his next vet appt. If he's panting when he's not playing there is most likely a problem.

BTW, he is just too cute! I love his markings!!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neko pants when he's in the car coming home from the vet's. I asked the vet about it and she said it's probably him being scared/nervous/stressed. Ammo was probably panting because he was playing so much with the laser and pooped himself out.

Nero used to pant sometimes when I'd bring him outside on his harness. I think it was just too hot for him in the sun with his black fur, but he would plop down right there and roll in the grass and pant
I usually brought him back inside the cooler house if he started panting.