MY CAT ON PREDNISONE (Steroid)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mchammer12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat M.C. has always had constipation problems and started on Mirilax which Vet said was fine to use and it worked til it didnt! So I took him to his usual vets and usually they will give him an emema if X-Ray shows and keep him over night but got new vet in their office and she said lets treat him as an outpatient because i understand he is very stressed when he has to stay here. I was happy to hear that. When i took him it was also because he wasnt eating, drinking BM-ing or urinating! So she gave him an injection to get him started on rehydration and eating. And I got sent home with Clamovax (AMoxicilllin) Prednisone (steroid where you do 2 x a day for 5 days then 1 x a day for 5 days then 1 every other day for 5 days. He also was sent home with Lactulose to loosen the stool and I was told to keep giving him Mirilax twice a day 1/4 teaspoon with syringe of water or mixed in food.
All was going well. He was eating, drinking urinating BM-ing and then when i started him on the once a day prednisone, he was at foot of my bed in morning (NOT UNUSUAL but when he didnt come down til 4 , he usually did to eat and drink but I picked him up and carried him downstairs. And he drank some water but stayed under the chair.Labored breathing. So i Called the ER Vet number which is not my vets but on thier website said to call State College and they said it was probably backing off the prednisone and to give him another dose because he was used to 2 a day and to call your vet in the morning if he wastn better may need change in meds. What is your opinion on all this?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prednisone makes them feel better. So when you back off he may not have felt as good as he usually does. Make sure the vet knows about the labored breathing, THAT is not normal. You stated in an earlier post that he had inhaled water up his nose and had trouble breathing. The prednisone may have shrunk whatever was in his nose, swollen tissue, polyps, etc., and helped him too. If he has to go back have them examine the inside of his nose. Hoe old is MC? Could this be end-of-life problems? you might start him on DMG after consulting the vet, it is an immune system supplement that may help him not get kitty colds, etc. It sure worked for my cats, who have leukemia, and breathing problems too. All the luck I pray you can help your little one......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mchammer12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Prednisone makes them feel better. So when you back off he may not have felt as good as he usually does. Make sure the vet knows about the labored breathing, THAT is not normal. You stated in an earlier post that he had inhaled water up his nose and had trouble breathing. The prednisone may have shrunk whatever was in his nose, swollen tissue, polyps, etc., and helped him too. If he has to go back have them examine the inside of his nose. Hoe old is MC? Could this be end-of-life problems? you might start him on DMG after consulting the vet, it is an immune system supplement that may help him not get kitty colds, etc. It sure worked for my cats, who have leukemia, and breathing problems too. All the luck I pray you can help your little one......
M.C. started to have breathing problems like labored breathing, as if you were having a panic attack so this morning I looked everywhere and he wasnt responding to his name and of course again he stopped eating, drinking, bm-ing and urinating I took him to vet this morning as an ER and they had to put him on oxygen. She said his lungs and heart are full of fluid but we can try this one shot that should take about 15 minutes to see if it releases the fluid , it did not so I spent my last time with him barely breathing and he passed away in from of me. It was awful! This was my third and last best kitty. M.C. was my lap kitty, he never fought if he had to get in carrier, he always walked away from my other two if they tried fighting. He will be sadly missed.Thank you for your reply and God Bless!

Mchammer12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
M.C. started to have breathing problems like labored breathing, as if you were having a panic attack so this morning I looked everywhere and he wasnt responding to his name and of course again he stopped eating, drinking, bm-ing and urinating I took him to vet this morning as an ER and they had to put him on oxygen. She said his lungs and heart are full of fluid but we can try this one shot that should take about 15 minutes to see if it releases the fluid , it did not so I spent my last time with him barely breathing and he passed away in from of me. It was awful! This was my third and last best kitty. M.C. was my lap kitty, he never fought if he had to get in carrier, he always walked away from my other two if they tried fighting. He will be sadly missed.Thank you for your reply and God Bless!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, my heart goes out to you. you can post on our Crossing the Bridge forum when you are ready. A tribute to that beautiful boy. Bless you for being there with him....

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry this happened. It's heartbreaking. Writing a memorial to him in our Crossing the Bridge forum may help you with the grieving process.

Mchammer12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry this happened. It's heartbreaking. Writing a memorial to him in our Crossing the Bridge forum may help you with the grieving process.
MC was my lapcat, sleep in my bed, always at my side, plus cute, he was my little chair thief!

Attachments

SparrowLyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im so, so sorry :(

Mchammer12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I am still having a difficult time accepting this because I really don't know what happened.
Vet said he could have had an underlying cancer or heart condition, she was stymied I think too.
He seemed, as soon as i brought him home on 4/11 because i took him first she said we will treat him as an outpatient and I will give him a shot of the steroid and you can give him the rest of the medicine at home and he did start eating drinking and bath rooming so i thought he was going to get back to normal but on the 7th day of last day of Prednisone was when the labored breathing was 4/18 and then 4/19 when I took him back to vet he passed away. I have had many pets growing up but have never had one put to sleep but he was in pain and breathing was awful. I could hear the congestion when he breathed he was miserable. He was leaving me! IT was the saddest sight I have ever witnessed.
I am dealing as long as I try not to think about how he passed away!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of MC. If this were a heart condition, they are extremely hard to diagnose in cats even with a very vigilant and loving owner is caring for them. You did the hardest and bravest thing that you could do for him to let him end his suffering.

When a cat passes, we lock the thread out of respect. You are more than welcome to post a tribute to him in our Crossing the Bridge forum.
Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.