My cat needs your help

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am visiting my parents in NY, and while here, I’ve been taking care of their 3 alley cats, all females and spayed, Mimi, Chloe, and Olivia. They’re all about the same age, under 5 years, and all healthy. It’s winter so they’ve been spending most of their time in my parents’ basement. Mimi is pretty close to us, the others keep their distance. Here’s the problem….Mimi has been infested with fleas for the past year and every time I see her, she looks thinner. I’ve tried several times to treat her with flea treatment but have had no luck! This time around, I can feel her spine when I pet her and feel the scabs from the bites all around her neck, back and into the tail. She might even have dermatitis secondary to flea dirt. I found a food she’s crazy about, weruva paw lickin, she’s eating 3 cans per day. While she ate, I was able to implant revolution. I can’t get close to the others to treat them, they’re too scared. Mimi had an appointment to be checked by a vet today but I couldn’t get her in the carrier despite pre-medicating with gabapentin 2 hours prior. I am flying back to florida this Friday and really doubt I’d be able to get her to the vet before that. Can you guys make some recommendations about home care? What else can I do to help Mimi get better? My sister has agreed to continue the monthly flea treatments. We also started Mimi on daily iron supplements.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Is the basement needing some food grade diatomaceous earth around the perimeter to aid in containing the fleas?

Rather than the iron I think I'd try adding L-lysine to help boost their immune systems, --unless it's already an ingredient in the food.

Will your sister be able to get her into the vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can treat the basement with diatomaceous earth. My sister works full time and she has her own cats to take care of, along with one that is 18 years old and requires quite a bit of care. I don’t have the heart to ask for more of her time. I was able to get another apt for Mimi this Thursday, hopefully I can get her into the carrier. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
don’t have the heart to ask for more of her time. I was able to get another apt for Mimi this Thursday
I totally understand, but getting another appointment is fantastic!

I've seen members who mention using gabapentin along with another one called trazadone. Additionally if you can get a spray version of a calming product, spray a towel and cover the carrier.

If you need to, you may want to scruff her. I never recommend it but in this case, as long as you can keep her back-end supported so that her body weight is never hanging from her neck you'll be ok.

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m surprised gabapentin didn’t work, I gave her a 100mg. She’s under 10 lbs. When used in my other cats, it knocks them out! I’ll try your suggestions on Thursday. I am worried abt tapeworms. If we don’t end up seeing the vet, how do I get dorontel? Is that only vet prescribed?

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try wrapping her tightly in a thick towel to get her into the carrier. She might need more Gabapentin. My vet said it was safe to give them up to 200 mg. I thought it was a lot but she said it was fine for my 13 lb old kitty. The 100 mg didn't seem to do much with her as far as sedation. She was on it regularly for pain too. You can always call the vet and ask first though.

You could also try putting the carrier face to face with a crate, if you have one...then sort of tip her into the carrier.

I really hope that you are able to get her in and get her to the vet. :hugs:

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She might need more Gabapentin. My vet said it was safe to give them up to 200 mg.
I think you’re right, 100mg did nothing. I’m going to double the gabapentin tomorrow and hang out with her until it takes effect. Our apt is at 1:30. I will keep you guys posted. Just want her to have a check and hopefully, there’s nothing more than fleas we’re dealing with here.

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to update you guys…I was able to take my Mimi to the vet. Putting her into the carrier wasn’t much of a struggle. I did have to give her 200 mg of gabapentin so she would be calm at the vet’s. I learned a thing or two abt her during this process, she’s not aggressive at all. She hid under my arm pit at the vet’s. Her physical exam was normal, no abnormalities- I was worried abt cardiac disease. She got all the shots appropriate for her including convenia, B12, steroid, rabies, dewormer, antiviral. She had full labs, I am waiting for the final results but she was negative for fiv, felv. So the plan for now will be to continue the flea treatment, good food, and love.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to update you guys…I was able to take my Mimi to the vet. Putting her into the carrier wasn’t much of a struggle. I did have to give her 200 mg of gabapentin so she would be calm at the vet’s. I learned a thing or two abt her during this process, she’s not aggressive at all. She hid under my arm pit at the vet’s. Her physical exam was normal, no abnormalities- I was worried abt cardiac disease. She got all the shots appropriate for her including convenia, B12, steroid, rabies, dewormer, antiviral. She had full labs, I am waiting for the final results but she was negative for fiv, felv. So the plan for now will be to continue the flea treatment, good food, and love.
This is great news! Here's hoping that the final results are good too. :dancingblackcat: