My cat needs to switch to mostly dry or all dry

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh regarding the scooting: you can use a paper towel with some water to wipe that area for her once or twice a day. It may solve the issue until her weight is down enough to clean herself.

We also do shave our older cats back end just to make the hair a bit shorter so nothing sticks to it. Just the part of the back end that would touch the ground if she's sitting. It's barely noticeable but a HUGE difference.

If you're off to the vet to check for arthritis, they can likely shave it for you too 🐱

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He will not touch the prescription stuff. His wet food requirements: lots of tuna with something, bits in gravy, 16 flavors or more that are rotated, prefers turkey /beef over chicken loves fancy feast I actually sort out his month of food to get the most variety and 1/3 of the cans are not tuna. He often nibbles on dry food more when he gets the non tuna dinners.

I tried to get him to switch to non tuna wet food and over 6 months starting with 1/10th chicken and 9 parts fancy feast tuna I got him eating begrudgingly 1 part chicken 2 parts tuna!! I tried toppers and everything. He starved himself for an entire day over eat food he disliked!

Given how crazy picky & stubborn he is I just don’t see him eating the new wet food. I tried tiki cat and that was a huge nope! I don’t have money to waste if he won’t eat it. This is why I see it as keep the current wet food he will eat or urinary care dry food he will eat.

Over the coming months I will buy some single cans of urinary care to see if he will eat any of it. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ I will try to incorporate some in his diet.
Off the subject a bit, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a cat who MUST have variety in food. Ailish will eat two of the same meals in a row, will suffer through a third, but the next one better be something different!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I just talked to the vet. He is infection free and can stop the antibiotics. She agrees with me about keeping him on fancy feast with extra water mixed in (& for now he can keep a little dry food but it must be urinary care dry food.) The CBD oil for stress and the supplement to help break up crystals still may happen. I will try some urinary care cans of wet food to see if he will eat them. I am going try the goats milk and broths to try to get him drinking more.

Jackie is doing well. The vet agrees he can try going without the pain medication tomorrow. (He had 1/2 doses yesterday & will get 1/2 doses today.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
🎉So Jackie is doing great! 🎉

I talked to my normal vet and she agrees any wet (even fancy feast) with water mixed in is the best diet for him. I’m weaning him off dry food. He is down to 3 tbsp a day. He is staying on urinary cate dry food.

He has a water fountain and I refill his extra bowl of emergency water every day.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is used to 4/5’s of his diet being wet. If he pigs out on dry food, he gets the runs. He has bladder crystals and needs the dry food (he is way to picky to get him on the healthy wet food.)

Any idea how I transition him to dry food from 4 meals of 1.5 oz a day?
If he has bladder crystals, the WORST thing you could do is transition him to dry food! Ever wonder why 1 in 3 cats will die from kidney disease? If the wet food is becoming too costly for you, I suggest researching other wet food options. Any wet food is better than dry food.