My cat licked a white glue

Rawannnn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 3months and a half her weight is 650g
She had one lick of a white glue mixed with water
I cleaned her mouth right after that and gave her water when she drink the water she had a seizure for about 20 seconds on her left side after that she had some trouble walking for about 3min after that she became normal and ate a little of her food..
what I’m supposed to do now

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of glue did she eat? (What brand?)

Most white glue, such as "Elmer's Glue" is made from polyvinyl acetate. (PVA.)
PVA is relatively non-toxic. It won't make you sick unless you eat a lot of it.
The toxicity level of PVA is in the range of 15g./kg. That means that a ten pound cat would need to eat somewhere in the range of 50g. to 60g. in order to get sick from it. It would take, probably, half of a 4oz. bottle of Elmer's Glue to get 50 g. of PVA.

One of the first symptoms of ingesting PVA would be nausea and vomiting and, possibly, gastrointestinal distress.

PVA is also the stuff that they use to make such things as the lickable adhesive for envelopes and postage stamps.
Another substance, similar to PVA, is also used to make chewing gum.

If she ate any of the common brands of PVA-based white glues like "School Glue," "Craft Glue," or "Wood Glue" I wouldn't be super worried. Yes, she ate something that isn't good for her but, unless there is another problem that we don't know about, one lick of diluted white glue will only make her throw up, at most.

However, the seizure you reported is something to be concerned about. Seizure is not one of the common symptoms of ingesting PVA that I know of. (That doesn't mean there can't be seizures. It just means that I've never heard of it before.)

As with ANY seizure, if it doesn't last longer than a minute AND if the after-effects go away after a few minutes, it's not an emergency.

If there are any more seizures or if the victim seems to have trouble with vision, hearing, standing, walking, talking or balancing, it *IS* an emergency and they need to get medical attention, IMMEDIATELY.

I recommend keeping a close eye on your cat to be sure that there aren't any more seizures or possible after effects from eating the glue.

Do you have a pet emergency hotline in your area? I recommend calling, if you can, and talking to somebody who knows more than I do.

If you notice any problems or if your cat has another seizure, it is an emergency and you will need to get your cat to a vet, right away.

If you don't notice any problems and your cat does not have another seizure, you can probably wait to call your vet in the morning.
Still, if there is a pet hotline in your area, I recommend calling just for peace of mind.

I'm just a random smart guy who has a lot of esoteric knowledge but some people call me a smart ass, instead.
Even though I don't think you'll have any lasting problems from just a lick of diluted PVA glue, I would still call somebody who knows about these things if I was you.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
White glue if it is elmers/ craft glue is pretty non toxic so she could be ok. The seizure is disturbing so I would go to dvm and get her checked out. Call the posion control line and ask about the glue.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If the seizure was an odd coincidence which occurred with the glue, meaning that it appears to you that it might be from the glue but that in reality it had nothing to do with it, then you have a cat who had a seizure for an unknown reason. With a small, three month old cat, I would call the vet regardless.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...you have a cat who had a seizure for an unknown reason.
I have thought about this, overnight. I am guessing that the seizure and the glue are two separate things. Not 100% sure but I still think so.

One thing that came to mind is that the seizure could have happened because of all the stress and anxiety over the glue incident.
When a cat does something like eating glue, one would naturally be like, "OMG!" All the fuss of getting the cat away from the glue and washing him up, afterward, MIGHT be what triggered the seizure.

It would be wise to call a vet and report the seizure on those grounds, alone. Glue or no glue.