My Cat Keeps Peeing On My Bed

ShannahA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really need help solving this issue. I have a two year old neutered male cat whom I love dearly. He’s the sweetest guy and has always been so well behaved. We feed him great food and he gets plenty of exercise running around with our dog. We changed his litter, he did great for a few days and then for the first time urinated on our bed. We changed his litter back. We went camping for four days, he was fine until the night we got home. He peed on our bed while we were sleeping in it. Since this is new behavior for him we took him to the vet and he does indeed have a urinary tract infection with crystals. He’s now on his fifth day of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications as well as a new prescription food designed for bladder health and is feeling better because he’s been playing like normal. However, he KEEPS peeing on our bed whenever we’re not in the room, it most definitely is not “spraying” he’s full on releasing his bladder. I’ve tried everything I can think of but it’s driving me mad. We never punish him, we just clean up the mess and hope this stops. We live in a studio apartment so we’ve had to keep him in the bathroom when we’re not home to keep him from using our bed as a restroom, which I know stresses him out, I feel badly for him but I don’t know what else to do. If you have any ideas at all please please comment. I’m at my wits end.

nazzurai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think your Cat now thinks peeing on the bed is okay

When you clean up the mess what do you use? Because Cats nose are very strong and because we can't smell the urine they can still do even after cleaning up!

How many litter boxes do you have and where are the litter boxes kept?

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:hithere:While your cat is recovering from his UTI and you are sorting things out, have you considered putting a waterproof blanket on your bed in the meantime? I purchased one on Amazon. It might help give you some peace of mind till things go back to normal.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry it's your cat's inappropriate peeing that brought you here. Hopefully once his UTI clears up he'll get back to peeing in the litter box.

Here's some articles on how to clean up cat urine. An enzyme cleaner is the only cleaner that will totally remove the urine scent, and if the cat can still smell urine, it's possible they'll keep peeing in the same place.

How To Remove Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShannahA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think your Cat now thinks peeing on the bed is okay

When you clean up the mess what do you use? Because Cats nose are very strong and because we can't smell the urine they can still do even after cleaning up!

How many litter boxes do you have and where are the litter boxes kept?
Iv’e been using an enzyme cleaner, it seems to be working well. We only have one litter box and we keep it in the hallway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShannahA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:hithere:While your cat is recovering from his UTI and you are sorting things out, have you considered putting a waterproof blanket on your bed in the meantime? I purchased one on Amazon. It might help give you some peace of mind till things go back to normal.
That’s a good idea. I’ll try that!

nazzurai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Iv’e been using an enzyme cleaner, it seems to be working well. We only have one litter box and we keep it in the hallway.
I think you should add one more litter box as some Cats like to pee in one and poo in another

That might help too

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Was the prescription food you got from the vet the dry or canned version? If they gave you the dry version, maybe ask the vet if you can switch at least partly to the canned version.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat peed on my bed every night for months after I brought home my dog. Fun times. It helps to tape together puppy pads into a blanket big enough to cover the entire bed. It's a lot easier to switch out one or two pads than to wash bedding. My cat also seemed to develop an association between the blanket that was on my bed when I brought my dog home and the new pest in her life. When the blanket came off, she stopped. When I put it back on months later, she peed on it again. Perhaps once all the medication is done it would be worth it to completely switch out all your bedding.

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
try giving him some treats on your bed-cats dont like to go where they eat
also maybe he is a bit stressed from the whole ordeal so maybe a little feliway is in order