My cat keeps panting

Ningirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So today I brought my female, indoor-outdoor cat outside. It is a nice day with the humidity being low and the temperature around 80 so I figure her and her, 2 month old, kitten would enjoy it. She seemed fine at first running around and enjoying the sun, but then I noticed that she was panting. She would start panting with her mouth wide open and at one point she had also puffed up her tail. She was just at the vet and they said everything was fine with no issues they could find. Is she just overwhelmed or too hot or is it something else? I really don't want to have to keep spending a lot of money on unnecessary trips to the vet but I also want to make sure she is alright. Has anyone had this happen to their cat and could possibly tell me a solution?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Due to the additional puffed tail, is there a possibility she saw something that frightened her really badly?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ningirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought so as well but I looked around and there was nothing. I brought her over and had her sit on my lap to try to calm her down. She also did not growl like she usually does when she is frightened. After I held her on my lap she calmed down but started panting again a few minutes later, this time with no puffing.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If several hours pass and she continues to pant, you will want to chat with your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ningirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. I brought her back inside and she stopped panting she is currently playing with the kitten and acting completely normal. I plan on trying to bring her back outside later when it is cooler and there is hopefully less going on. Thank you again for your help.