My cat just started doing this randomly, and I’m concerned

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It looks as though he's trying to cough up a furball C chefchefchef .
It can happen more often in Spring when cats are shedding their winter growth. Does he like to be brushed? That's a good way to stop so much hair going into his stomach.

If, however, it's ongoing or seems more like a cough, you will need to get him to the vet.

And welcome to TCS!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It looks to me like asthma. You would need to take him to the vet for a diagnosis. It is diagnosed with a chest Xray. If you have a regular veterinarian, I would send them the video and ask what they think you should do next. If not, I would set up an exam with a veterinarian and get established, then show them the video.
Feline asthma is serious, and an attack can be life threatening. But it is treatable with proper care, and medications.

My cat has asthma. I have medications on hand in case of an attack. I don't have to use them very often. But it is nice to be able to stop it if she does have an attack.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat had asthma and it sounds similar. Or it could just be a cough. If it happens often, I’d have him checked by a vet. Asthma can be diagnosed with a quick xray

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, that appears like coughing to me. But there can be other causes besides athsma.

My cat coughs sometimes, as he has a chronic respiratory infection that will never go away -- he was very sick at a very young age (when he was lost outside before I rescued him), and my vet and I treat him with antibiotics about once a year which help. But the symptoms come back. I guess in some cases, when a cat is that sick that young, enough damage is done where they are forever susceptible to an infection.

I'm not suggesting this applies to your cat, just saying there are other causes besides athsma. My cat has had a long, healthy life, BTW. He's almost 10, and most of the time he is completely symptom-free. It's just like once a year he needs another treatment.