my cat just gave birth

sorra5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gave birth to 5 kittens like 30 minutes ago I'm unsure of how I should help her and if I should because it's my first time. I havent been through anything like that before. It's her first time as well I don't know if she's confused because she isn't laying down for the kittens to start breast feeding. I'm making this thread for any help I don't want any kitten losing their life

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has mama cat let the kittens nurse yet?

Put mama’s food and water and litter near the nest so she does not have far to go.

Plan to spay her in about 8 weeks and do not let her out in the meantime.

Mom cats do most of the work in the early weeks, but 5 kittens is a lot. Weigh them daily in grams and keep a log. You’ll probably have a runt or two that may need supplemental feeding with a syringe and kitten formula.

Do keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat gave birth to 5 kittens like 30 minutes ago I'm unsure of how I should help her and if I should because it's my first time. I havent been through anything like that before. It's her first time as well I don't know if she's confused because she isn't laying down for the kittens to start breast feeding. I'm making this thread for any help I don't want any kitten losing their life
Do continue to give us reports, othewise we cant help any...

And giving reports may be a help for yourself... I for one, I often get new ideas and insights while Im writing about the problem.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi S sorra5
I wanted to welcome you and to see how your Mama cat & kitties are doing so I sure do hope we hear back from you real soon -we are here for you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sorra5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
S sorra5 How are things going?
totally sorry on the late update and I don't really know how to update the thread but I'm dealing with a new problem the kittens are alright they all run around the house and play but regarding the problem we've noticed fleas in 4 of them each one had 1 flea and my parents aren't really happy with that I don't know if it's because of the mother cat for being outside or anything. I really need help to resolve this problem so they grow up healthy and not deal with fleas so early. Me and brother managed to get rid of the fleas we've found not sure if there are more. At first I didn't know it was a flea I was thinking of some type of parasite but then I searched it up and they looked exactly the same as what we've found

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
totally sorry on the late update and I don't really know how to update the thread but I'm dealing with a new problem the kittens are alright they all run around the house and play but regarding the problem we've noticed fleas in 4 of them each one had 1 flea and my parents aren't really happy with that I don't know if it's because of the mother cat for being outside or anything. I really need help to resolve this problem so they grow up healthy and not deal with fleas so early. Me and brother managed to get rid of the fleas we've found not sure if there are more. At first I didn't know it was a flea I was thinking of some type of parasite but then I searched it up and they looked exactly the same as what we've found
Pretty sure that Mama is bringing them in since she goes outside but people can bring fleas in the house as well,they especially like to jump on to socks for a ride and believe it or not they have an order of host preference...

I can write pages & pages about fleas but to break it down very simply they can lay eggs in cracks,crevices and carpeting and lie dormant for years( yes years) and they hatch by vibration- so you pull out the vacuum cleaner & suddenly find you are flea infested - it's important to use products thst kill the eggs( that's for the house and basically everything for the house is toxic to animsls)

The moral of the story is " prevention "- get Mama cat on something to prevent fleas- Revolution Plus is my favorite pick,it not only prevents fleas but also tics,ear mites & many worms....as your Vet to recommend parasite control and be diligent about it-kittens can start Revolution when they reach 5 lbs if you opt for that,meanwhile there are many "natural" flea repellent products you can buy at your local pet store for the little ones.....

Nobody wants to deal with a flea investation,if you've seen one guaranteed there are more

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Along with everything kwik mentioned fleas are 1 of the few ways cats get tapeworms.. I attached a link that explains. This is another reason why utalizing preventative measures is the way to go.

Last edited:

sorra5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pretty sure that Mama is bringing them in since she goes outside but people can bring fleas in the house as well,they especially like to jump on to socks for a ride and believe it or not they have an order of host preference...

I can write pages & pages about fleas but to break it down very simply they can lay eggs in cracks,crevices and carpeting and lie dormant for years( yes years) and they hatch by vibration- so you pull out the vacuum cleaner & suddenly find you are flea infested - it's important to use products thst kill the eggs( that's for the house and basically everything for the house is toxic to animsls)

The moral of the story is " prevention "- get Mama cat on something to prevent fleas- Revolution Plus is my favorite pick,it not only prevents fleas but also tics,ear mites & many worms....as your Vet to recommend parasite control and be diligent about it-kittens can start Revolution when they reach 5 lbs if you opt for that,meanwhile there are many "natural" flea repellent products you can buy at your local pet store for the little ones.....

Nobody wants to deal with a flea investation,if you've seen one guaranteed there are more
so would spraying first and make sure no eggs survive and vacuum after be the idea? I also went to the vet today gave me a spray for fleas that I applied to the kittens. He told me it would kill the fleas

sorra5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so would spraying first and make sure no eggs survive and vacuum after be the idea? I also went to the vet today gave me a spray for fleas that I applied to the kittens. He told me it would kill the fleas
Didn't mean to post reply early, sorry. I'm unsure if we have that product in my country though I'll have to look it up. Now the vet did tell me to apply it to the mama cat as well but even though I did, I saw a flea like hours ago crawling around her neck, I didn't check her out now to be sure. I also have a question about getting a product to kill the fleas do I spray everywhere the kittens have been or around the house since they can lay eggs anywhere?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What product are you using or contemplating using? Some of these sprays can be toxic to your cats. I must know the products in order to advise you; otherwise, you can kill your cats or make them very sick if you use the wrong products.

S sorra5

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Well first off-are you seeing fleas in the house?
Ideally when there's an infestation and a house is sprayed or powdered ( whatever method is being used) all pets should be removed and the house must be cleaned WELL of sny residue because it's all toxic to pets(& humans as well).... the best method for flea infestation in a home is fogging(which I'd NEVER do in my house btw) -I did it once years ago and took over a week to clean before I could bring my animals home -it gets everywhere....
These days they do have products that they market as non-toxic to pets( after they are dry- 48hrs )...a good friend of mine is an exterminater for 40yrs and according to him if it can kill fleas its toxic to pets----so please,be very careful

Anytime you treat the house the animals should not be in it imo,I have friends that have done one room at a time as they clean before putting pets in it and they do it that way-

It's funny,that's how I met my dear friend Charlie,the professional exterminator,over 30yrs ago when my house was flea infested because of a little stray kitten who spent the night!Since then I am very careful,as careful as anyone could be and all about " prevention"......

As Sarthur2 Sarthur2 mentioned,without knowing what you are considering we cannot advise.....your Vet gave you " spray"? I don't use sprays because they're on Revolution

Ive been told Miracle Cats natural flea spray ( no chemicals) and Hartz Nature's Shield( for pet and home) are good natural sprays( clove,cinnamon,lemongrass oils) you'd have to look up tye ingredients

rautumn89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi! I just saw your response to this post..! I am also noticing the same issue with my cat/kittens. They are not even 24 hours old at this point and our vet had recommended frontline gold.. which we did and it hasn’t worked at all! I do have a spray that’s apparently all natural but I haven’t seen it work to well in the past.. I am willing to try it with the kittens. I am just wondering if that will have any effect on the mamma cleaning/caring for them since I’ve read strong smells can deter the mother. I am definitely going to try revolution! We’ve tried advantage and frontline gold this summer and neither have worked at all..😩

rautumn89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i hope mama cat has started nursing! I have read that occasionally the mom will be so tired they just refuse to nurse for a while…Our cat had 5 kittens today and luckily she did great with everything and has been taking care of them. We did prepare and buy kitten formula, bottles, & syringes just incase.. we probably got too much and won’t even need most of it But I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it..! I do recommend a kitten “play pen” especially if you have other animals though! Our mama loves it! I hope the mom and babies are doing well! ❤

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I just saw your response to this post..! I am also noticing the same issue with my cat/kittens. They are not even 24 hours old at this point and our vet had recommended frontline gold.. which we did and it hasn’t worked at all! I do have a spray that’s apparently all natural but I haven’t seen it work to well in the past.. I am willing to try it with the kittens. I am just wondering if that will have any effect on the mamma cleaning/caring for them since I’ve read strong smells can deter the mother. I am definitely going to try revolution! We’ve tried advantage and frontline gold this summer and neither have worked at all..😩
They have a Revolution topical formulated especially for kittens( under 5lbs) .. . Just be sure to consult your supervising Veterinarian about when to start your kittens ( weight )....I've had babies started at different weights depending on their overall condition.... Tbh if I didn't take all my cats out for walks I wouldn't start them until over 5lbs but Florida is one big sand flea box and NO THANK YOU,fleas not welcome!

The all natural ,chemical free treatments are safe if ingested as long as it SAYS so on the label and be very sure to read the fine print,not all natural ingredients and essential oils are safe if ingested by cats and I don't know why they are sold to be used on cats but they are- do your due diligence and always consult your Vet.... They treat many animals who have gotten a bad reaction from " non Toxic' products sold OTC❤

rautumn89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! Yea Virginia has been so bad this year with fleas and ticks..I wish my older cat wouldn’t go outside.. but he was also rescued and is so used to going outside when I don’t let him he gets mean and purposely breaks things around the house and terrorizes the other cats until he gets what he wants! So there’s no winning with that situation. I will definitely be calling the vet this week and trying revolution!❤

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Yea Virginia has been so bad this year with fleas and ticks..I wish my older cat wouldn’t go outside.. but he was also rescued and is so used to going outside when I don’t let him he gets mean and purposely breaks things around the house and terrorizes the other cats until he gets what he wants! So there’s no winning with that situation. I will definitely be calling the vet this week and trying revolution!❤
I've taken in an adult feral 65 days ago to cold turkey him into indoor life-hes doing great!
Anyway,I worked with this boy for over a year outside and from the moment I could pet him I started him on Revolution Plus- 2months ago after I trapped him he went directly to the Vet-The Vet was well pleased Saying' Wow,no parasites?!!!!" He was checked for everything,complete blood,fecal etc.....when I began with him he was badly malnourished,flea infested,black ears from mites and a real mess-I highly recommend this product