My cat is throwing up after pooping. This is week 2

QueenWater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Mr. Spooks has been sick the past two weeks. He has beem vomiting after his stools. He was constipated I could tell in the beginning. I took him to the vets twice & unfortunately, they could not do any test on him because he is aggressive to them. The first time they sedated him twice and the sedation still did not work for them to be able to give him xrays of anything so they sent him home. He has poop twice without this vomiting. His last poop was soft and regular and he still vomited. He has been eating regular & peeing regular. At this point I have no idea what to do. I hate to see him like this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry about what is going on with Mr. Spooks. At first I would have said the straining to poop was causing him to vomit, but not after reading about his poop being normal and yet he still vomited.

You need to find a vet that will work with Mr. Spooks. Ask friends/family/neighbors/co-workers for a recommendation. Perhaps, even a cat only vet who is used to dealing with cats who tend to be a bit more 'difficult' than dogs. Also, get a copy of his records from your current vet so you can share them with a new vet. It will also tell the new vet what type of sedatives were used so, if necessary, they can try something else to help calm him down. And, ask about a small dose of Gabapentin, which is sometimes given to a cat before the vet visit to help calm/relax them.

He really needs that x-ray, and possibly some blood work if he hasn't had any recently.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try 1/4 tsp. Miralax mixed in a beaten egg yolk, that is what is used to give to my constipated cat. It would help clean him out. Call your vet first and ask of course. The vomiting has to mean he is impacted or something in his food is disagreeing with him. You might try a sensitive stomach formula for a while and see if it helps. If he continues to vomit, he will have to go in. Ask the vet what you can administer BEFORE he does, it is usually a half capsule of Benadryl. They usually eat them squished in cheese, or wrapped and squished in a piece if bacon. It is very bitter, if he actually tastes it he will foam at the mouth.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm sorry to hear Mr. Spooks is having some difficulty and the vet is not cooperating with handling him or giving you a diagnosis. I agree, you may want to consider getting a second opinion from an experienced feline only vet. If the consistency of his poop changes you can always give him canned "pure" pumpkin, (not pumpkin pie filling), approx. 1/8 tsp. It's not unusual for some cats to need an anti-anxiety med. prior to going to the vet. A small amount Buprenex also takes the edge off. Best of luck! 🤗 Please keep us posted on his progress.

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be 100% honest with you - That vet sounds....not the greatest. My Ally was borderline feral whenever we took her to the vets, to the degree that one of the techs had to wear those thick gloves typically used to deal with hawks/eagles. We switched clinics and the new tech chose not to listen to mine and the vets warnings and ended up having to go to the ER for stitches after Ally got ahold of her (Ally had to be quarantine for 10 days after this due to county rabies guidelines, despite her being vaccinated regularly). She needed complete sedation for even the most basic of procedures, which was difficult as Megacolon developed and the vet visits increased.

Now, on from the behavior, I will say that I'm not a vet professional but the vomiting after every stool sounds very reminiscent of what Ally went through in the early stages of megacolon. Every time she'd start throwing up, we knew it was time for her to go in and get an enema - your experience will likely vary. She was unable to tolerate any wet food which likely didn't help as the added moisture from wet food softens the stools, so we stuck with Lactulose (I don't remember the dose; It's been a couple of years now) given via syringe.

On the off chances that it's constipation, try to keep him on wet food and encourage drinking of water - cat fountains are great for this, though it may take your guy a few days to get used to a fountain with moving water vs a water dish. Like the others have said, there's really no way to know what's really going on until you get that x-ray, though.