My cat is scratching in a corner.

hannahmrosie

hmr2
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is pregnant and tonight she has started scratching in the my cupboard under a shelf and making the “trill” noise that they make. Does this mean anything? She’s also got white crusts on her nipples

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she is beginning to “nest” a bit.

White crust is usually dried milk that is beginning to come in. Once this occurs and your cat is seeking a nest, she is usually within a week or less of giving birth.

Do you have a nest for her set up in a safe, quiet, and private place like a closet or cupboard, and is she aware of it? If not, set a nest up and show it to her. She needs a space in which to feel comfortable giving birth and nursing her kittens.

How old is your cat? Is this her first litter?

Do keep us posted!

H hannahmrosie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahmrosie

hmr2
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Thank you! she’s 14 months and yes this is her first and probably last litter. We do have a shallow cardboard box with a blanket in my cupboard.

hannahmrosie

hmr2
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Sorry i think i replied to my own message instead of yours! But yes this is her first and most likely last litter and she is 14 months old.

We do have a box and blanket set up for her in my cupboard. My cupboard is built in with sliding doors.

We also have a male cat (not the father). Should we keep him away? She does seem on edge when he’s around.

Thank you

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi,

Sorry i think i replied to my own message instead of yours! But yes this is her first and most likely last litter and she is 14 months old.

We do have a box and blanket set up for her in my cupboard. My cupboard is built in with sliding doors.

We also have a male cat (not the father). Should we keep him away? She does seem on edge when he’s around.

Thank you
If she is best friend with the male, its usually not necessary to keep apart. He may even co-parent.

But if she isnt happy to have him around, as you hint she doesnt; keep them apart.
Its just unnecessary stress on her.

hannahmrosie

hmr2
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thank you,

They usually get along very well but she does seem a bit more on edge around him, Im sure we will be able to guess what she wants when the time comes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the male cat neutered? It’s a mom cat’s instinct to protect her kittens, even from a curious but well-meaning resident male, who is a friend.

hannahmrosie

hmr2
Kitten
Purraise
Yes the male cat is neutered, has been since december. They are the from same litter, had them since they were 7 weeks old.

hannahmrosie

hmr2
Kitten
Purraise
She has now started refusing food, including treats and is restless, does this mean labour close?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, those could be signs that labor is approaching. If she will use the box that you set up, that would be great. Try to prevent her from sneaking into the back of a closet or a similar place which will make it hard for you to monitor her and the kittens. Keep the male cat away for the time being.

hannahmrosie

hmr2
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, we are keeping him away for now, she clearly doesn’t want him near. Nothing yet but she’s definitely getting close.

hannahmrosie

hmr2
Kitten
Purraise
She feels very warm on her ears and her stomach, what does this mean? She also lost a little bit of brown stuff yesterday and seems to be cleaning her nipples.