My cat is not going blind

countrygalof6cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wasn't sure where to post this but I am so glad I switched vets! My diabetic cat is doing better. She can't still walk like normal but a few days she did pretty good. Even made it up the stairs. Last month I took my other cat to the vets because she started meowing more and clinging to me. She's been meowing last 3 years after I had to put her sister down due to diabetes. That is a long story. Took her to my old vet over and over. They pulled a tooth thinking that was the problem. Nope....took her back and they said she had pain in her back so put her on pain medicine. That didn't help. So, last month after she would not sleep on her blanket on my bed but only next to me I took her again. They told me she was partially blind and her retina had detached! Talk about a break down that was. Put one of my cats down in October because of cancer they never caught until 2 days before I had to put her down. They put my other cat on a diet (something in the dry food) beginning of the year. Took her mid summer because I could see her hip bones. Said she was just old and like old people her fat fell to her stomach and yes...I believed it. Took her 1 week after putting my cat down because I could feel her shoulder bones now and I weighed her and she was to thin. Instead of me thinking about the diet food OR them thinking about the diet food I went through it could be diabetes, thyroid ect so I paid for blood work, pee test and x-ray and office visit just to find out it was the food. Then November my cat was suddenly going blind and then this month my cat almost died to diabetes they diagnosed as arthritis. I took my cat yesterday to the new vet and I didn't mention the going blind part. She is in perfect health for a senior cat! I kind of yelled at the Vet (on the phone) "She isn't blind!" She had no clue why I said that. Told her I know it sounds strange but are you sure she isn't partially blind? Did you do the light in her eye test. She said yes. She passed the whole eye tests but she checked again and said she was fine. I then told her how I was told last month she was partially blind because her retina detached. She said no. she could see her retinas and they were fine! I am now trying to get their records from the old vet and I think I am going to contact the vet board where they get their license. They killed my other cat who had diabetes from all the steriod shots and they never told me about the food for diabetic cats or the right way to give the insulin and now this. Four cats in one year miss diagnosed and 3 of them 3 months in a row! No wonder I'm a nervous wreck. Oh, and with my cat yesterday I wanted an x-ray but she would have to be sedated because she wouldn't stop wiggling. Vet didn't want to do that and I didn't either. Told her they told me 2 years ago her intestine wall was thick and it could lead to cancer. She said if her intestine wall was thick when she felt it, it would make a crackling sound and hers didn't. Felt normal. Taking the other 2 cats next month just for blood work and a check up. Why I didn't see how they really were all these 13 is beyond me and I feel so bad for my cats. My fault they have been put through hell and mine alone. My job to keep them save and I didn't do that. Specially with my cat that died 3 years ago. Sorry for the long story.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The medical records at the old vet are your property for the asking. If they try to hang onto them you can probably find a licensing board in your state and report them. It sounds as if that is what the new vet is going to do.

We all tend to trust the doctors we see and not without good reason. We acknowledge that they went to medical school and should know what they are doing. Your experiences with your cats is horrendous, but a number of members on TCS have had negative experiences with vets who either lacked competency, interest, or another quality that made them bad doctors. Many also have stories of animals lost during surgeries or misdiagnosed, so sadly you are not alone.