My Cat Is Avoiding Me

galaxy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm very confused, my cat hs been acting strange lately towards me and my sibling. I picked him up but he wriggled and hissed at me, and he's been avoiding me ever since we took a stray to the spca.
Just before my parent picked him up and he meowed and purred happily, but when I walked over he jumped out and ran away from me.
He always used to let me hold him and pet him, I feel really worried and sad, can anyone help?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I'm sorry you are having problems with your cat. What I think is going on is this: Cats have a very, VERY good sense of smell, and I'll bet that he smells the stray on you. Yes, they can smell it on your hands, clothes and body, sometimes even after a shower. Just give him some time, and he will most likely be right back showering you with affection! If this problem lasts longer than a few days, YELL BACK, and we'll figure out something else!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

galaxy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I guess I'll have to be patient! ^^

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very confused, my cat hs been acting strange lately towards me and my sibling. I picked him up but he wriggled and hissed at me, and he's been avoiding me ever since we took a stray to the spca.
Just before my parent picked him up and he meowed and purred happily, but when I walked over he jumped out and ran away from me.
He always used to let me hold him and pet him, I feel really worried and sad, can anyone help?

Just brainstorming here, in case he is still giving you the silent treatment you might try rubbing some vanilla on the back of his neck and rub some on yourself as well. People have had success doing this with two cats when one has been to the vet and the one who stayed home no longer recognizes him because of the strange odors. I don't know if it will work with a human or not, heck, it doesn't even always work with two cats but it's worth a try.

I hope your kitty is back to normal very soon. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

galaxy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat isn't avoiding me anymore, I just had to wait :) Thanks guys for the help! ^^

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's precisely what we are here for! Don't be a stranger to us! You are part of a community now!