my cat ingested his fungus spray and started foaming at the mouth... help

cloudysmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi guys,
please help! I have a kitty who has a fungus skin infection (ringworm) and the vet shaved him in specific areas where he has the infection and gave us "Funggo spray" I spray him 2x a day for 3 weeks. The first time, he licked the wound and threw up because of the medication. Then, I had to install a cone on him so he could stop licking the medicine. Now, in 2 days it'll almost be 3 weeks and I feel so bad. So, I decided to remove the cone (big mistake). I had already sprayed him an hour ago, so I thought the medication would have dried and all is well. As soon as I removed the cone, he started licking the infected area, chewing his flaky-dried skin, and swallowing it. He was already done and ingested the spray and his ring-wormy flaky skin as I watched in horror and decided to put the cone back on him. I go grab the cone, and when I am back, I nearly have a heart attack, I see him foaming at the mouth, drooling all over the floor. And when I say foam I mean foam, I thought he swallowed a soap bar. I immediately put the cone back on. I call the vet and told them the name of the spray "funggo spray" and nothing online says if it is poisonous or not. They told me to wash his mouth- but if the foaming occurs again to bring him in. So far the foaming did not happen again. But I am reading things online such as-medicine-poison, but since it is a cat spray- I am hoping it is not poisonous. This medicine needs better information. Furthermore, I am kind of worried that he did not throw up- so all these toxins can be out of his body. He is sleeping now- and I am so worried and tired but scared- that I cannot bring myself to sleep. I keep checking his mouth if he's foaming again. I feel so so guilty. Also- side note, I washed his mouth, but knew that the bad taste was there- and I tried to make him drink water but he did not want to. So I gave him some of his yogurt treat to rid him of the bad taste.

If anyone knows- is Funggo spray poisonous if ingested by cat?
Is there a need to be concerned about foaming at the mouth once?

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Side Effects of Miconazole in Cats

Miconazole is considered safe when used in felines with fungal infections, regardless of the form used. However, there may be some insignificant side effects including:

• Nausea and vomiting, especially during the first days of oral treatment
  • Skin irritation, when topical products are used and this reaction may also indicate that the cat is allergic to Miconazole
  • Skin discoloration
  • Hyperpigmentation
  • Color changes of the fur

These side effects are only temporary and will disappear once the treatment is discontinued. If you notice additional effects or if the adverse reactions persist, you need to visit the vet.

Not poisonous. Also, not good for humans. Make sure you clean your hands. I would think about covering the areas of treatment.

Miconazole for Cats

kudzu kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like you've gotten good advice from your vet and upthread, but just to add:

I've only personally experienced something like this once, when I "missed" on a first attempt getting a bad-tasting pill into my cat, but I've been told that cats can often foam at the mouth when they taste something particularly bad.