My cat has this little brown dots

karinaromano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Can someone help me? My cat is about 9 months old and today I spotted a little area with brown dots and less hair on her neck, what could be? After seeing it I realized that she scratches the area

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I am going to suggest that this looks like flea dirt. This does not mean that you are not taking good care of your kitten or that you have a huge infestation. Fleas are pretty easy to come in contact with even indoors. Have you used flea treatment? If you used it within the prescribed period, don't reapply though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karinaromano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I am going to suggest that this looks like flea dirt. This does not mean that you are not taking good care of your kitten or that you have a huge infestation. Fleas are pretty easy to come in contact with even indoors. Have you used flea treatment? If you used it within the prescribed period, don't reapply though.
Thank you for your reply, i spent the day checking her and i found another spot around one of her nipples, jsut one of them. Got really scared, didn’t try the flea treatment, I sent a photo to a vet and he said maybe it’s fungal and gave me something to apply on. But i will definitely try the flea treatment. Do you know if it’s harmful for people? She kinda has access everywhere and I’m scared.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please only use flea treatment from the vet. It's perfectly safe for humans.

And always follow the directions exactly. Many vets will stick a printed prescription-type label on the flea treatment package with the dosing information (how much to give and how often and for how long). If the vet doesn't give you any info, be sure to ask for it. Wash your hands after handling the flea treatment product. If it's a topical, it's safe to touch your cat after the product has dried, usually within 10 minutes.