My cat has no milk for newborns

hmmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had we first litter of 4 kittens 2 days ago. She would not eat the placenta, only a few bites after I shoved it in her face. I had to cut the cord. Now she still isn't getting milk. She is very attentive and the kittens are either suckling or sleeping but no milk is comming out. She is eating very well. I am very frightened. What should I do? Please help.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What makes you think she has no milk? If the kittens are warm, strong, and quiet, they're probably getting enough to eat. Even if you can't make milk come out, they can. A kitten who isn't getting enough will be fussy and squalling, or cold and lethargic.

Do you have a kitchen/postage scale (one that weighs in grams)? If not, can you buy one (they're pretty cheap, and available at most stores)? Weigh them every day at the same time, you want to see them gaining at least 6-10 grams a day. If they don't gain that much, you need to start supplementing them with kitten formula.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hmmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have a scale but plan to get one today. Maybe you're right, they seem okay. It's been awhile since I had kittens in the house but I remember the mother being at least a little saggy she seems the same as before she was pregnant. Never wet around her nipples either. Thanks so much, I'll get the scale today I may be worrying prematurely. I do hope so anyway.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is mama kitty being fed kitten food (40 % protein) and KMR or whole goat milk? The best way to get better nutrition and milk production for the babies is through their mom. As they used to tell me when my kids were babies, "milk makes milk". It is always so good to know that a young mother cat is safely off the streets and in the good care of a real guardian angel such as you - I look forward to updates and pictures!