My cat has had 4 kittens. 16 hours ago. I can still feel kittens inside her stomach.is this normal? Help!

Tabbytime23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has been rather calm after giving birth to all four of the first kittens .and is eating and being a perfect mother to them. But im worried that she stoped giving birth to the rest of them. Is this normal for them to not have all kittens at once?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have had only one experience with this, but the cat involved had another kitten 24 hours later. She was a young cat, and only had one kitten in the first birth, took care of her baby, but then gave birth 24 hours later. If your cat has been outside where she could have been exposed to multiple toms, there could be kittens coming from another later impregnation. Just keep watch on her. So far it sounds OK.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes kittens are born hours or days later. As long as the cat does not seem to be in distress, don't worry.

It's also common that it feels like there are still kittens inside... but it is just the uterus that hasn't contracted yet. I have been fooled by this myself sometimes.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with these above. As long momma is calm, OK, etc - do observe, be prepared; but you can wait and see. Even if you know for sure there are still kittens inside. Momma busying herself happily with the already born kittens is a good sign.

And yeah, the uterus is often swollen, and feels as more kittens.
Also, one forumist swore she saw visibly the belly moving. But time went, momma healthy but no more kittens. So this was surely gases inside of her intestines moving her belly...

T Tabbytime23