My cat has feline idiopathic cystitis - question about diet

2CatsAndADaphne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My cat Stella was adopted by our family in December of 2017. She came from a local cat rescue group with a good reputation. She had been found outdoors on someone's front porch where she proceeded to give birth to a few kittens. This person called the rescue and the rescue came and got her and her kittens. Stella's kittens were of course adopted right away, but she lived at her foster home for over a year before we adopted her. This foster home had a TON of cats. I mean, a LOT. Stella spent most of her time under things like beds and couches, according to the foster mom. She also indicated there were a few large cats that bullied and harassed her, so she was personally very happy we wanted to adopt her.

We brought Stella home and introduced her slowly to our large dog and within a week they were fine around each other. My dog was raised with a different cat and never chased. Stella settled in quickly and hardly ever hid. We adopted a small dog about 2 months later. This dog was also raised with cats and left her alone. She was fine with this dog too. About 5 months later we sold our house and moved to a rental in a different city. Soon after, Stella began to pee blood and strain at the litter box. I brought her to the vet and he gave us meds. She was back to her old self for a little bit but then relapsed with same symptoms. Back to the vet we went and he diagnosed her with feline idiopathic cystitis. He said there was no medical cause, that it was "all in her head." He gave us the same meds but also strongly recommended we put her on a vet Rx food called Royal Canin Urinary SO. We put her on the food immediately but it bothered me because of the crap ingredients. After a good while (we are talking months and months later), I tried taking her off and giving her a higher quality food (kibble and wet) but she began having symptoms again and so we went back to the vet, got the same meds and put her back on the Rx food. It bothers me so much that I am feeding her this food of poor quality; however, I'm not crazy about experimenting again by trying to take her off of it to see what happens. We bought a house a year and a half ago, we lost our big dog 6 months ago (he passed at home and we let her smell him and be present). We adopted a young cat about 4 months ago that she is now used to (but hated at first). As I type this, I realize we've put her through a ton of changes, but WE have always been a constant. She goes where we go. She is extremely routine oriented and I keep her routine very steady and predictable. Our house is usually pretty quiet and calm. She seems happy and while she is more of an independent cat than our new one, she is being noticeably more social and playful than ever before (the new cat wants to be with her and play).

Does anyone have experience with this diagnosis? Should I suck it up and just keep her on this food because she has zero issues when on it? Has anyone used anything more holistic with great success? Thanks for reading if you made it all the way to the end!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Should I suck it up and just keep her on this food because she has zero issues when on it?
I personally would stay with this - she's proven to you already that changing doesn't work for her. Are you using the dry or the canned?
However, if you were to try a change again, maybe a hydrolized food provided that it works with FIC, and just one brand and variety/type at a time, with a very gradual transition.

I keep her routine very steady and predictable.
Do make note of the stress factor - if you go through any more upheavals (and it doesn't matter a whole lot that you were static, everything surrounding you was changing, --although keeping her routines stable is helpful), keep calming products in mind (there are a LOT on the market) as well as cat music. There's spotify, youtube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as sources.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps using Feliway would be a good option for you?

I had a kitty who developed cystitis due to stress but fortunately we knew what caused the problem (we had a very active bear season and they were coming right up to the house...poor guy was terrified) but it never happened again after that one year.

If you decide to try again, I think the best option would be an all wet diet, no more dry food/kibble at all. The RC SO food is formulated to encourage a thirst drive in a cat so it, encourages them to drink more, which dilutes the urine to prevent stone and crystal formation and of course causes more urination. Moisture in the diet is very important to cat urinary health. Others have also put their cats on a raw diet, but of course that's not for everyone...
I have also heard of some who use something called D-mannose, but I don't have experience with it so I would do some research on that.

I also had a cat who had to be on the prescription food for urinary care...we also tried a couple of times to take him off the prescription food only for him to relapse. In our case though, every time he relapsed, his litter avoidance would get worse, even when he was better. So after trying twice to make the change, and after him permanently shunning litter (we could now only use pee pads), we decided that the prescription food was it. So a cautionary tale...if you try again.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My old girl, Asha, had FIC. Always triggered by stress. I kept her on a predominantly wet diet (high meat, low carb, and usually with a little water added) and managed it with Protexin Veterinary Cystophan, along with Zylkene at times of particular stress or change. It worked very well for us, and the vet never suggested a prescription urinary food. FIC was more a diagnosis of elimination in Asha's case, as nothing else explained her periodic litterbox avoidance, and was fine so long as she was on her supplement. If I forgot for a few days, she'd have a flare, so we figured that's what was going on.

About a year later, a different vet (we go to a big practice) confirmed the FIC diagnosis and suggested Feliway Cystease. I mentioned I was already using the Cystophan; he compared the ingredients, and he said that was also a good choice, and to stick with it as it was working for us.

FIC can be a difficult diagnosis to make, I think, as it doesn't always show up in testing (as was the case with my girl). That may be why your vet made the seemingly flippant comment of it all being in your girl's head. Its most definitely not in her head, but it is a condition that's triggered by stress (which is why I was always very proactive with Asha's stress management to best support her at times of change).

I would never advise you to go against a vet's advice, but my (limited) experience suggests that FIC can be managed in other ways. There are also different brands of prescription food out there (Hills and Royal Canin are the main two, but i believe Purina has a prescription range, and there's at least one European prescription brand on Zooplus). So investigating and trialling different prescription brands might be another option.

If you do decide to change diets and go down the supplement route, do please run it by your vet first. It being right for Asha is no guarantee it'll be the best choice for your gorgeous girl. Its always a good idea to check with your vet before trying a supplement in any case, just to be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2CatsAndADaphne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I personally would stay with this - she's proven to you already that changing doesn't work for her. Are you using the dry or the canned?
However, if you were to try a change again, maybe a hydrolized food provided that it works with FIC, and just one brand and variety/type at a time, with a very gradual transition.

Do make note of the stress factor - if you go through any more upheavals (and it doesn't matter a whole lot that you were static, everything surrounding you was changing, --although keeping her routines stable is helpful), keep calming products in mind (there are a LOT on the market) as well as cat music. There's spotify, youtube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as sources.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life
Hello and thank you!
The vet recommended the dry kibble. She's been eating this for several years now. I do mix in some wet (not Rx) food a few times per week and she seems to really enjoy it. She loves eating!

I put a NurtureCalm collar on her and used the Feliway multi-cat plug ins as soon as we brought the young cat home we recently adopted and we saw a noticable difference. I'm most likely going to just suck it up and continue to give her this food since she has not had any additional incidences, and just cut back a little of the kibble and mix the higher quality wet that my boy gets she she seems to really enjoy. Thank you for your help!

2CatsAndADaphne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Perhaps using Feliway would be a good option for you?

I had a kitty who developed cystitis due to stress but fortunately we knew what caused the problem (we had a very active bear season and they were coming right up to the house...poor guy was terrified) but it never happened again after that one year.

If you decide to try again, I think the best option would be an all wet diet, no more dry food/kibble at all. The RC SO food is formulated to encourage a thirst drive in a cat so it, encourages them to drink more, which dilutes the urine to prevent stone and crystal formation and of course causes more urination. Moisture in the diet is very important to cat urinary health. Others have also put their cats on a raw diet, but of course that's not for everyone...
I have also heard of some who use something called D-mannose, but I don't have experience with it so I would do some research on that.

I also had a cat who had to be on the prescription food for urinary care...we also tried a couple of times to take him off the prescription food only for him to relapse. In our case though, every time he relapsed, his litter avoidance would get worse, even when he was better. So after trying twice to make the change, and after him permanently shunning litter (we could now only use pee pads), we decided that the prescription food was it. So a cautionary tale...if you try again.
Hi! Thanks for relaying your experience. I feel like I should just let it be since the food works at keeping this condition at bay. My choice would be raw (my dog is on raw food) but I would feel horrible if she relapsed again. I appreciate your advice! We have used Feliway before (should have mentioned that). It seemed to really help her!

2CatsAndADaphne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My old girl, Asha, had FIC. Always triggered by stress. I kept her on a predominantly wet diet (high meat, low carb, and usually with a little water added) and managed it with Protexin Veterinary Cystophan, along with Zylkene at times of particular stress or change. It worked very well for us, and the vet never suggested a prescription urinary food. FIC was more a diagnosis of elimination in Asha's case, as nothing else explained her periodic litterbox avoidance, and was fine so long as she was on her supplement. If I forgot for a few days, she'd have a flare, so we figured that's what was going on.

About a year later, a different vet (we go to a big practice) confirmed the FIC diagnosis and suggested Feliway Cystease. I mentioned I was already using the Cystophan; he compared the ingredients, and he said that was also a good choice, and to stick with it as it was working for us.

FIC can be a difficult diagnosis to make, I think, as it doesn't always show up in testing (as was the case with my girl). That may be why your vet made the seemingly flippant comment of it all being in your girl's head. Its most definitely not in her head, but it is a condition that's triggered by stress (which is why I was always very proactive with Asha's stress management to best support her at times of change).

I would never advise you to go against a vet's advice, but my (limited) experience suggests that FIC can be managed in other ways. There are also different brands of prescription food out there (Hills and Royal Canin are the main two, but i believe Purina has a prescription range, and there's at least one European prescription brand on Zooplus). So investigating and trialling different prescription brands might be another option.

If you do decide to change diets and go down the supplement route, do please run it by your vet first. It being right for Asha is no guarantee it'll be the best choice for your gorgeous girl. Its always a good idea to check with your vet before trying a supplement in any case, just to be safe.
Hello - thanks very much for weighing in with your thoughts. I'm curious to learn more about Cystease and Cystophan and will look into it. I think I will check the ingredients on some other brands to see if there is anything slightly better, but still keep her on a specialty food for this condition. My primary worry was her developing some other health issues over time (she is now probably 6 years old) because of the quality of this food, but my husband keeps reminding me that this Rx food is keeping her from having symptoms of FIC and to just focus on that. Everyone had great advice and I will take it!