My Cat has elevated liver levels

Rosepetal17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Vet just emailed me to say that my cat has elevated liver levels. I was impressed that she didn't charge me for the follow up blood test (though understandably, had to charge for the visit,) but she has suggested an ultrasound. My cat has already had a course of liver supplements, which obviously didn't rectify the problem. Money is so tight right now, I am basically living on credit cards. The financial strain is stressful, but I want to do what's best for my feline friend (she is about 17 yrs, though I adopted her, and not exactly sure of her age.) She is so spunky, and still eats a lot (slightly less given the extremely hot weather we've been having in Toronto.) She still goes outside, and bops around...quite youthful, in fact. Can anyone suggest anything. Am I not seeing the full picture? If I have to add more to my credit card, I will! I want her to be healthy and happy! <3

Attachments

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How elevated is elevated and which enzymes are high? For example, ALT can go high with stress or inflammation elsewhere besides the liver. If she's got arthritis, dental issues, or taking medication, that can elevate ALT. But an ALT of 160 (slightly elevated such as what medication might do to it) is a lot different from an ALT of 1400 which would require aggressive in-patient treatment.

It's your cat and your money. Make sure your vet is working for you by asking questions.

1. What does elevated liver enzymes mean or suggest?
2. What are you looking for with an ultrasound? Are there other ways to determine this? For example, if she's looking for signs of IBD and your cat isn't having poop or vomit issues, then save your money. However, if she's looking for a tumor, how else would a tumor affect your feline friend's quality of life? Would she be losing weight? Having nausea or not eating? Would she show other signs that you can monitor for if an ultrasound is out of the question?
3. What are the risks of not getting the ultrasound? What does she think is happening or will happen if left untreated?
4. Is there a treatment you can try even without the diagnosis? What are the risks of trying the treatment without the diagnosis? What are the risks of doing nothing?
5. What should you be monitoring for if you choose not to do anything? When should she be brought back if things look worse or brought back for a recheck of the liver values?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rosepetal17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How elevated is elevated and which enzymes are high? For example, ALT can go high with stress or inflammation elsewhere besides the liver. If she's got arthritis, dental issues, or taking medication, that can elevate ALT. But an ALT of 160 (slightly elevated such as what medication might do to it) is a lot different from an ALT of 1400 which would require aggressive in-patient treatment.

It's your cat and your money. Make sure your vet is working for you by asking questions.

1. What does elevated liver enzymes mean or suggest?
2. What are you looking for with an ultrasound? Are there other ways to determine this? For example, if she's looking for signs of IBD and your cat isn't having poop or vomit issues, then save your money. However, if she's looking for a tumor, how else would a tumor affect your feline friend's quality of life? Would she be losing weight? Having nausea or not eating? Would she show other signs that you can monitor for if an ultrasound is out of the question?
3. What are the risks of not getting the ultrasound? What does she think is happening or will happen if left untreated?
4. Is there a treatment you can try even without the diagnosis? What are the risks of trying the treatment without the diagnosis? What are the risks of doing nothing?
5. What should you be monitoring for if you choose not to do anything? When should she be brought back if things look worse or brought back for a recheck of the liver values?
WOW! Thank you SO much for your educated and detailed response!! My vet hasn't really explained anything to me, surprisingly! No details of why she has suggested the ultrasound. I've emailed her back, explaining my financial issues and she kindly replied "I don't want to put anyone behind the 8 ball," so let's continue with medication. "Myre" (my kitty) does have arthritis, so takes Gabapentin already. She has never really lost weight, actually overweight for a long time, though on D/M (dietary management) wet food. I don't give her kibble, except for six dental "cookies" every morning with her meal. She also (for the most part) has a regular bowel movement, and urinates regularly. If you don't mind, I would like to copy and paste your questions (I'll leave out any personal comments you've made) Please let me know if you are ok with it first. Again, thank you for taking the time to respond! Very much appreciated! :D

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go ahead and rephrase the questions yourself so that you get the pronouns right. But also so that you’re sure what you’re asking. I’m sure it will sound better in your voice than mine. 😉

Rosepetal17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Go ahead and rephrase the questions yourself so that you get the pronouns right. But also so that you’re sure what you’re asking. I’m sure it will sound better in your voice than mine. 😉
Yes, you are right and thank you again!:happycat:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also if you don’t like her answers, you can ask her to send you the bloodwork results to see if you can teleconsult with another vet. You share the bloodwork and pay for an office visit without having to bring the cat anywhere. You’ve bought their time to get your questions answered and get a second opinion.

Rosepetal17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also if you don’t like her answers, you can ask her to send you the bloodwork results to see if you can teleconsult with another vet. You share the bloodwork and pay for an office visit without having to bring the cat anywhere. You’ve bought their time to get your questions answered and get a second opinion.
Another great suggestion! You are extremely knowledgeable! Much gratitude!:bluepaw::bluepaw::catface: