My cat has chronic diahrrea

Pponton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ten weeks ago a mama cat had kittens on our deck. We brought them inside and have been caring for them since. We are going to keep the mama. She has had diahrrea off and on since we’ve had her. She has been tested for parasites, viruses and bacteria through bloodwork as well as stool samples. The latest conclusion is she has a problem with chicken protein since she did not clear up from a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice. We were told to switch her to fish which has helped but she still is not 100%.
Has anyone had to deal with this who can share some insight? Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I presume you weren't feeding her before she had the kittens, so her diet changed once you were taking care of her full time? How long ago did you start the fish food? It could take a few weeks for her system to get 'back on track', so you may need to wait longer. There are other cat foods besides chicken and fish, so that might be something to consider down the road, if you need another change. If dry food, transition slowly to let her system adjust. Slow transitioning between most of the canned foods doesn't seem to be quite as crucial. Have you thought about giving her some s. bourlardii?
Saccharomyces boulardii Probiotic for Pets (White Paper)– FullBucket Health

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pponton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have her on a probiotic but that particular bacteria is not listed. We just switched to fish a few days ago. Her poop seemed to be getting better but she just had a loose stool again. What are other sources of protein besides chicken and fish?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Beef, lamb, duck, turkey, venison, and rabbit are other protein options. Some are easier to find than others, of course. And many foods with these proteins still have some form of chicken in them, but not always. You could look for hydrolyzed, novel protein food sources.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Has anyone had to deal with this who can share some insight?
My boy had chronic diarrhea early this year and I gave him S. Boulardii and his diarrhea was resolved after several weeks. I echo FeebysOwner FeebysOwner recommendation of the S. Boulardii. Here's an article regarding the S. Boulardii and how to administer it. Please give it a read.

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest trying solutions offered here 1 at a time, so as to see what works and keeping a written record. (Sounds like an obvious & doofus thing to say, but if you’re like me, you worry when your cat has the runs for a long time— and writing it down keeps you calmer). I found that adding a teeeny amount (1/4 tsp or less) of pumpkin (Tummy Topper) helps. Definitely keep close tabs on what your vet says as your try out different things, all of which can take time to work.

Last edited: