My cat has been overgrooming for almost a year now. We can't seem to figure out why.

AmandaJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In June of 2021, we took my cat Otto to the vet for a hot spot on his shoulders and a small overgroomed patch on his belly. There was no sign of fungal infection and we were advised to try to see if it's allergies (so basically just mess around with his diet.) We started by feeding him only chicken. Every other protein was removed from his diet. But he was getting worse. So we thought, oh it must be chicken, and so we eliminated chicken altogether from his diet. But he still got worse. (we also gave these different methods weeks-months to take effect) At wit's end, I thought maybe it's his litter. So we are now messing with his litter.

I myself have MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity), so everything we buy has to be completely free of fragrance otherwise I'm sent into a horrible migraine for the rest of the day. Finding fragrance-free litter is such a pain. I also try to find lightweight litter because I have an unstable shoulder, but that isn't the biggest deal, I can just carry it with the other hand. But anyway, his belly just seems to keep getting worse. I just don't know what to do. I cannot get a pill down this cat's throat to save my life. Honestly. If my life depended on it, I'd be dead. All the anti-itch things I'm finding are scented.

I've begun to have my own medical issues in November from the sheer stress of not being able to fix whatever ales my baby boy. Knowing that I don't know how to fix the problem makes me cry. I just don't know what to do.

Attachments

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In June of 2021, we took my cat Otto to the vet for a hot spot on his shoulders and a small overgroomed patch on his belly. There was no sign of fungal infection and we were advised to try to see if it's allergies (so basically just mess around with his diet.) We started by feeding him only chicken. Every other protein was removed from his diet. But he was getting worse. So we thought, oh it must be chicken, and so we eliminated chicken altogether from his diet. But he still got worse. (we also gave these different methods weeks-months to take effect) At wit's end, I thought maybe it's his litter. So we are now messing with his litter.

I myself have MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity), so everything we buy has to be completely free of fragrance otherwise I'm sent into a horrible migraine for the rest of the day. Finding fragrance-free litter is such a pain. I also try to find lightweight litter because I have an unstable shoulder, but that isn't the biggest deal, I can just carry it with the other hand. But anyway, his belly just seems to keep getting worse. I just don't know what to do. I cannot get a pill down this cat's throat to save my life. Honestly. If my life depended on it, I'd be dead. All the anti-itch things I'm finding are scented.

I've begun to have my own medical issues in November from the sheer stress of not being able to fix whatever ales my baby boy. Knowing that I don't know how to fix the problem makes me cry. I just don't know what to do.
Have you checked out any of "Jackson Galaxy's" YouTube videos ? Perhaps there's a answer in one of his videos.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you speak of pills - are you talking about trying something like Benadryl? Regardless of what type of pills (allergy related, I am guessing), you can attempt to feed him meds in a variety of ways:
1.) crushed pills can be mixed with any number of lickable treats on the market (Squeeze Ups, Vitakraft, Catit, Tiki Cat Stix, just to name a few), or with baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut), or with the 'juice' from human canned tuna (or chicken) in water, with a bite of the meat as a 'chaser'.
2.) pharmacy compounded medicines in the form of flavored liquids - also mixable with any of the above-mentioned mediums.
3.) pill pockets (e.g. Greenies), or gels to 'wrap' a pill in, or capsules - all my least favorite options, but they do work for some cats. Some folks place the meds into small capsules, and then cover the capsule with Recovery A/D canned food - which many cats seem to like - and the cat will just 'inhale' the capsule as they eat the canned food. There is even a YouTube on this process, whereby feeding from a carpeted surface reaps better results than on harder/smoother type surfaces.

How is he doing otherwise? If OK, you might consider a one-time steroid shot, just to give him a bit of relief. Sometimes, that is all it takes to 'stop' an issue, but even if it doesn't, it gives both of you a chance to take a 'breather'.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi-Littermaid walnut litter is fragrance free, and I use Tidy Cats Free and Clean additionally. Special Kitty also has a fragrance free litter.

Have you tried Cat Music? Low volume classical harp music can help relax him too, as well as you :vibes::hugs:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tidy Cat makes Free and Clean Unscented cat litter. I buy it in 20 pound cartons rather than the 35 pound tubs simply so I can carry them around better. There are also litters line Yesterday's News which don't have any scent and are also very lightweight because they are made out of recycled newspapers.

Some cats overgroom due to stress. Is Otto anxious? If so, check out this article and see if there is anything here that might apply: Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Along with the advice on how to give pills above, something else you might be able to do is get any medications compounded into either transdermal gels to rub inside his ears, or into injectable form to give as a shot into his scruff. We did both for one of our cats who was impossible to pill. Worked out great. We would inject her during a love session and she was none the wiser. Not all medications can be compounded, but a lot of them can. If compounding isn't available, here is another way to get a pill into a cat that I haven't tried yet, but will if it becomes necessary. It's brilliant: How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are you currently feeding the cat? Brand, canned / dry. etc? Chicken is not the only thing that can cause food sensitivities / allergies in cats that shows up as over grooming. Fillers such as gums and starches and even fish oils, among many things, can cause sensitivities. There is one member here on TCS who has a cat that is allergic to at least a dozen if not more things commonly found in commercial cat food. The cat also has an immune disorder so feeding raw or home cooked is not an option.

Have you tried Pill Pockets or anything to get medicines into the cat? There are tips here:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – TheCatSite Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

Some medicines are available in a liquid form which may be easier to give, either directly or by mixing into canned food. Compounding a medicine is also an option. A transdermal gel is probably the easiest option to give to a cat (rub on the inside of the ear using a cotton swab) but not all medicines are available in that form.

Has your vet completely given up on diagnosing the issue? Can you seek out another vet for an opnion. maybe a veterinary dermatologist? Or ask the current vet to consult with a veterinary school or other vet hospital?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One or two other thoughts, are you living in a house with a yard that might have other cats or animals crossing it? If in an apartment, have new tenants with animals moved in or with a screaming baby?

Ordinarily construction doesn't last this long but lately what with supply chain issues and not enough workers it can. Is he hearing something like that could be causing him to be stressed? Can you try a fan or whit noise machine?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Cats will also overgroom when they're in pain.. they will go for the general area that is hurting, or simply do it as it makes them feel better (grooming is a destresser). Has he had a good medical check recently?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he losing weight?
Not to be an alarmist, but I had a cat who overgroomed and we couldn't figure out why. Eventually, she was diagnosed with a tumor that turned out to be mast cell. Mast cells release histimine which can cause itching. I don't know if that's why she overgroomed, but it did occur to me as a potential for it. Cindy's tumor was internal and we were able to have it surgerically removed. She lived another 2 years, but unfortunately eventually had other issues.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you run any calming agents in your home such as Comfort Zone or Feliway diffusers or have you tried anything like Peacemaker drops from Jackson Galaxy? We use a combo World's Best Cat Litter and Naturally Fresh cat litter for our kitties. Both in the original (no scent) varieties.