My cat has a UTI once again. I'm broke and need advice.

19_k90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My cat had 2 UTI's close together (about a week apart) over the winter. In both cases they seemed to me to be environmental: my girlfriend was in town and my lifestyle had changed and all of a sudden instead of being home almost all the time I was gone for half the day. Since the pandemic I've noticed this behavioral shift.. which could potentially be separation anxiety? Nonetheless I am careful to diagnose a cat myself.. In both cases I took him to the vet and they didn't really make much of a prognosis on what to change, but deduced it was potentially environmental. I am an unemployed artist and thus these vet costs hit me hard, in ways I am still recovering from. Since then I've put in an effort to spend more playtime with him, got him a running water bowl, and now summer has arrived and so he's able to spend much of his day out on our sunlit deck watching birds.

Nonetheless 2 months later and now he's showing the same symptoms again: when I serve dinner he begins yowling and making 6+ visits to the litterbox, straining to pee, etc. I know that it is very important to take cats to a vet in cases like these, but I'm afraid I likely do not have the means to do this in the immediate moment. Can anyone share any tips or guidance?

Thank you.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have a look at d mannose and cornsilk, I have had good results using them. A uti can become life threatening very quickly in a cat so are you able to speak to your vet and explain, maybe work out a payment plan.