My cat has a scab or something on nose

Ocean Planet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 16 year old has developed what looks like a scab on the end of his nose. This started about a week and a half ago. I thought maybe my other cat scratched him or he scratched himself, but it hasn't fallen off yet. It sort of impedes his breathing a little, like when someone has a stuffy nose and he sneezes now and then (he has allergies too). A picture is below.

I definitely need a vet to check this out. Well, I have an appointment with his normal vet this Saturday for a checkup and yearly rabies shot. If you were me, would you be OK waiting the couple more days until Saturday or should I take him to emergency tonight? He acts fine otherwise. I'm so torn :(

On one side I'm trying to minimize the stress of multiple appointments in a row for him, but I can't tell visually if this is just an injury or a more serious lump.

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd probably wait until Saturday *if* he is eating, using the litter box and has normal energy levels. If any of those are off, I'd see the emergency vet sooner. But I'd rather see my regular vet if it can wait only because I trust my regular vet and they know what is normal for my cats. Since it has been there for a few days, a few more days won't usually make a huge difference if you cat is otherwise acting normally IMO.

Alternatively, my vet keeps a list of people they can call in last minute to fill spots that open from canceled appointments. You can see if your vet has something similar where they will call you sooner if something is available. OR send the photos to your vet and see if your vet will weigh in on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ocean Planet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply Kieka. That is kind of what I'm leaning towards (for Saturday). I just wanted to attach a picture in case anyone has seen something similar that it is more serious. He is very good otherwise, eating and bathroom habits are very good and he sleeps good most of the day. I've also never seen blood or anything from his nose.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is his eye watering as well? I wasn't sure from the pic. If it is, he might be pawing at his eye/nose area and caused the irritation on his nose. Since he is doing well otherwise, it is probably not necessary to have him go to the vets twice in such a short period of time. But, you could call your vet, tell them about his nose, and ask to be placed on a notification list for any cancellations that might come up between now and his scheduled appt.

Ocean Planet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, his eye does water occasionally (just a clear tear-like fluid). They've checked it out last time and saw no eye damage so we believe it's allergy related. So I also thought maybe it was 'gunk' building up from that. I tried to run my finger over it but it never came off. When he wakes from a deep sleep you can hear the air trying to come out that one nostril. That is probably the worst side effect right now.

I may call my vet here to see if a cancellation comes up the next couple evenings just in case. I'll update over the next couple days when I go! Crossing my fingers its just a scratch or similar minor issue.

Edit - I called my vet to see if they have a cancel list and they told me they do, but it is "very long". So we are waiting until Saturday. They told me the same thing as long as it isn't growing or bleeding or changing his behavior I should be fine to wait 2 days.

Last edited:

Ocean Planet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, whatever that thing was, it fell off tonight and his nose is back to normal! Whew. He had that thing for about a week and a half on there. Not sure it was in the end but this weird story has a happy end.