My Cat Had Oral Surgery Now One Eye Is Watery And Cloudy

Scottthecatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everybody:

I need advice. I took my very happy 4 year old Blue Russian girl to the vet dentist Wednesday morning to have one canine tooth looked at as it had no enamel on it and looked brownish red. The vet/dentist said that he would decide what to do once he looked at her tooth. He came back with 2 options, a root canal or extraction. He attempted to do a root canal but said the root was completely dead so we decided to extract the tooth. He said she went through the oral surgery beautifully and the tooth was out. He said all of her other teeth were beautiful. He administered a pain killer and a "nerve blocker" to block the pain. We brought her home and she had alot of nervous energy and didn't sleep much. The second day she crashed all day but i noticed that her left eye was watering and she was favoring it, keeping it closed or partially closed, the same side where the tooth was removed. I called the vet/dentist and he said wait until the next day as it may take 48 hours for everything to wear off. I waited until the next day and her eye was open and looked almost normal. Now, going into the 4th day it looks a little cloudy/watery again, not bad, just not normal. Is this normal after oral surgery? She acts like herself, but dosen't do the "kitten like" play things she did before the surgery. She liked being chased around the house, playing with string, etc. Now nothing. Am i expecting too much too soon only 4 days after the surgery?

Thanks for any advice in advance,

Scott

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He told you to wait 48 hours, and you did. But that didn't do the job; if it were my cat I'd be calling the vet back and saying that something is wrong.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely, call the vet back. Give him the time-line, from the time of the surgery onward (vets see LOTS of patients, doesn't hurt to remind them of these things).