My Cat Had Developed Erratic Eating Habits

Oliver 2005

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My almost thirteen year old cat has developed erratic eating habits after 12 years of being a very enthusiastic eater of the same brand of food (different flavors). Now I never know from meal to meal what he will eat. I have tried just about everything at the pet store. Oliver had a very difficult winter. He had to have a tooth extracted and then he quit eating. After an x-ray and subsequent ultrasound, it was discovered he needed his spleen removed. He continued to have a poor appetite and wouldn't eat his original food at all. Now he will eat but there is absolutely no consistency or pattern. He has had four blood tests since January and has been on appetite stimulants five times. He is taking an anti anxiety medicine now but not sure it is doing anything. My vet says his problem isn't physical as he has checked out everything inside and out. I don't know what to do. I have become very anxious and am hesitant to ever leave him, as I don't know what he will eat. Any suggestions?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, this is so hard when this happens!
Along with trying different foods try toppers and enticements;
Goat milk, kitten glop-there are lots of recipes on the internet, mackerel, salmon, dry and freeze dried treats, commercial pastes and mousses for instance tikicat has a mousse, kitten milk replacer, unflavored gelatin, shredded cheddar cheese, heating the food slightly and be sure to mix it well after microwaving, canned kitten food, bonito flakes, fortiflora as a topper not so much as a probiotic, tuna, pouch foods as they have more gravy.
Also you could try a plant enzyme and probiotic product by animal essentials.
Good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oliver 2005

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions. I have tried some of them and he will eat the topper but not the food. The biggest problem is he keeps switching what he'll eat. For a few days this week, it was Science Diet, then Fancy Feast and tonight it was Nutro. Will I ever again be able to get him on a predictable schedule of foods?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible that he'll settle down and/or that you'll find a food, or several that work. That's what I ended up with, finally but it took a while.

Oliver 2005

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could you give me an idea of how long it took? I feel like it is getting harder to find something he will eat. Other behaviors have changed, as well. He used to spend hours looking outside or watching me. If I sat down, he would be on my lap. No longer. I so miss that. Thank you for taking the time to help.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for you, but did want to post to let you know I understand your worry for Oliver. Hope he gets his appetite back soon. :redheartpump:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Of course every cat is different but with my Big Guy, he began not finishing his usually well-liked food (Fancy Feast) in about February this year.

He's one of those finicky eaters and so I realized that in hindsight - I didn't truly catch on until I saw a thread discussion here that was commenting on cats not liking their Fancy Feast, in March and then it was a :doh:

So for the past couple of years I'd been trying to find foods he'd eat without menadione. After I put two and two together about this latest development I started looking for foods that were similar to FF.

I also started using bonito flakes and fortiflora, and similar to your cat, he pretty much was eating the topper.

I ended up in local grocery stores looking at non-big-name brand cat foods. I'd been boycotting Petco but also went in to see what was new. Between these two sources I've come up with some decent foods that he's eating.

Long story (only somewhat) shortened LOL, I guess it took about 5 weeks?

Oh and by the way, maybe try another calming product or just stop completely for a bit - what he's on now could be the reason he's acting differently.

Oliver 2005

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for letting me know about your experience. Oliver started not eating in January but it was the middle of April when he has become so erratic. Can you tell me what brands you are feeding your cat? Oliver has always preferred food with gravy so that eliminates a lot of food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi again!

Pet Pride turkey as well as the chicken flavor - he won't eat the bits but he loves the gravy
Merrick BackCountry in the black pouches
Tikicat Aloha Friends pouch - I think this variety is still menadione free, but in any case he's very inconsistent with this brand
Purina Muse canned
Purina One True Instinct canned
Natural Balance pouch
Friskies Turkey canned - he's a bit inconsistent with this one
Luvsome canned
Fancy Feast Primavera flavors, canned
Abound pouch (didn't like the chicken and liver, now trying the turkey)

I have Instinct canned in the pantry, I haven't tried it with him yet

Brands I've tried lately that he doesn't care for but that might work for you, if you haven't tried them already; Daves canned, SpecialKitty can (from Walmart), Abound pouch chicken and liver flavor, Pure Balance can and pouch, Organix small can, Wellness morsels pouch. Koha is expensive but they allow small quantity orders, he doesn't seem impressed

Also, Only Natural Pet, the Big Bad Woof, and Lifesabundance allow small quantity orders

and just in case it helps; treats that are other than Temptations; Dry - Meowables, Sheba meaty sticks, Orijen boar, luvsome and Meowtinis, Purebites not so much lately. Wet - Applaws, can and pouch, Delectables pouch, Fancy Feast broths pouches

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I got to thinking, what about kitten food? or Pate style foods with water or unseasoned broth mixed in?

Oliver 2005

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, again, for the information. It gives me some more ideas of what to offer him. This is a whole new experience for me as I have always fed my cats basically the same food their whole lives. I had no idea that people rotated brands like this website indicates. I so appreciate your advice.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
You are so very welcome! Let me know if you have any trouble finding something.
For instance I'm able to get Pet Pride, Sheba, luvsome, abound and purina true instinct at my king soopers, and my Walmart has special kitty, pure balance, Delectables and also Goodlife.
All the VERY best of luck and tons of good wishes to you!! If you can, down the road an update would be so appreciated :redheartpump: