My cat had a seizure

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

Few days ago (Tuesday), my cat (8 years old) had seizures twice. The first one happened around morning time, which I was not aware of, but she suddenly came to me and meowed endlessly in a weird tone, which I thought she got scared of something or was not feeling comfortable. Then few hours later, around evening, I heard a weird sound and happened to spot my cat was just having a seizure. After a minute or two, she calmed down and after few minutes of recovery, she meowed in a same weird tone again for few minutes until she calmed down. I have heard her meowing like that very infrequently but maybe once every few month or so. I just did not ever spot her having seizures until Tuesday.

So I brought her to the vet on the next day (Wednesday), and we had a blood work done. Today, I just got a call and the vet said that everything looks fine and it is most likely epilepsy and I should get some consultation from neurologist. I am worried what that means and what I should do from now on to take care of my cat?

My question is that has anyone experienced or has a cat that have epilepsy? Also what's good way to reduce the frequency or so outside of medication method?

Thank you so much

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
While I may not have any experience with cats who have epilepsy, I would strongly urge you to follow up with a neurologist. There may be some members here who can give you some good tips, but that's not a substitution for a trained medical professional, especially when it comes to a lifelong condition.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure there are many on here who have experienced this with their cat, I pray they will come on and give you some tips. I know with humans sometimes a med will stop the seizures very well. If they are mild and infrequent, they may just suggest monitoring her and protecting her from injury. I sure wouldn't let her go outside now without supervision, that would be too dangerous. Epilepsy is usually caused by brain injury and can clear up after the brain heals. But sometimes the seizures continue. It may be a good idea to consult a professional to make sure it isn't caused by a tumor, etc, or something that can be reversed. I know there are dogs and cats out there that have lived long normal lives with medication. I give my cats liquid meds for building their immunities in Hartz delectable lickables in the stew, they have never turned it down.
I wish you well, and will pray for your little girl!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes my cat lily rose has this but its not very often though ... she later goes around the house meowing at everyone telling them that she is ok
I am glad to hear that! My cat also came to me and meowing several minutes after. Do you give any medication or no?

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While I may not have any experience with cats who have epilepsy, I would strongly urge you to follow up with a neurologist. There may be some members here who can give you some good tips, but that's not a substitution for a trained medical professional, especially when it comes to a lifelong condition.
Thank you! Yes I just called and scheduled for neurologist for the consultation.

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sure there are many on here who have experienced this with their cat, I pray they will come on and give you some tips. I know with humans sometimes a med will stop the seizures very well. If they are mild and infrequent, they may just suggest monitoring her and protecting her from injury. I sure wouldn't let her go outside now without supervision, that would be too dangerous. Epilepsy is usually caused by brain injury and can clear up after the brain heals. But sometimes the seizures continue. It may be a good idea to consult a professional to make sure it isn't caused by a tumor, etc, or something that can be reversed. I know there are dogs and cats out there that have lived long normal lives with medication. I give my cats liquid meds for building their immunities in Hartz delectable lickables in the stew, they have never turned it down.
I wish you well, and will pray for your little girl!
Thank you so much! I just called and scheduled. I will also try to give a way to build her immune system!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My poodle was having seizures and the vet put her on phenobarbital. It did a good job of controlling her seizures. She had to be on it for the rest of her life. He said that since the meds controlled her seizures she probably did not have a tumor.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Seizures/Epilepsy are a chronic condition caused by an electrical activity in the brain. It usually presents with symptoms of twitching, shaking, drooling, etc. Our dog started having seizures a month after being diagnosed with an autoimmune illness. Like muffy muffy said with her poodle, our dog was also put on phenobarbital which helped. Since long term use can affect the liver I used the lowest possible dose and he lived a long happy life.

Best of luck with your cat, Tuesday. Please keep us posted on her progress and let us know if you consult a neurologist. :alright: