My cat got sick 48 hrs. after vet visir senor blood panal and clean bill of health

Countrygals21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my healthy shiny 18 year old cat to vet last Friday only because vet required it to get refill of prasozine to help him pee because he hadn't seen Mink for a yeae. He had $360 in house Senior blood test with only his potassium being on the border line of being low and a slight murmur. Told he's in great shape for being 18 weighing 7.3lbs his typical life long weight.

Two days later he threw up and I saw him throw up couple more time over couple days noticed he wasn't eating but didn't catch it as a alarm because he's picky about food, got concerned. When he turned away from treats that he usually takes your finger off for late wens. night and on Thurs. night I caught that his litter had terrible diareah. Thursday night decided to take him to vet because I also realized that I'd been throwing out more food than usual and that he hadn't cleaned his bowl in a couple of days. Not unusual to throw food out he refuse to eat it after Sciemce diet prescription urine formula canned food is over two hours old chosing to eat Blue Buffalo kidney prescription dry instead which is self feed and always full.

I took him to vet this past FRIDAY 9:30 AM who questioned huge huge weight loss thinking the scale was off reflecting on blood test week earlier showed nothing wrong and since Mink had no fever still had a shiny coat bushe kind of disbelived he only weighed 6.3 lbs. now having LOST 10% of body weight whithin one week. Vet but stimulates in ear gave him flalgl fluids potassium and sent flagl home to give him but by 4 that evening was still gagging at food at smell though always drinking.

I called. picked up another 7 days stimulate and anti nausea pill to break in 4 to give daily because vet was sure he'd still pull through. Mink ate a few bites Friday night but by morning he was gagging and still gagged after nausea pill and stimulate. My vet was closed took him to another vet after confirming he was down to 5.lbs on my scale Sat at 2 he weighed 5.6 lbs on vet scale no temptation baffled him. Told him Mink had Senior panel clean bill of heath never outside only took to vet for refill of meds to keep him peeing after kidney stone blockage surgery 2 yrs earlier but he recovered completely though 50/50 with kidney level off back then. Hadn't had diareah since younger due to eating paper tape or something, never went outside and only pet.

He said he heard a slight murmur and based off being told from blood tests seed baffled. Thought maybe verified something but didn't see anything while feeling him. While explaining everything over that time and his history he still seemed baffled and said he wanted to do an ultrasound which showed a small leaking fluid sac on his intestines which complicated his recovery with age and virus he possibly picked up at vet.

Usually I hold Mink while vet checks him or blood drawn but my husband took him last Friday so to vet techs handled Mink and took him to backroom for blood draw thus exposing him.

We had him put ti sleep but I'm torn up can't stop crying feeling guilty as hell for not taking him because I wouldn't have risked contamination, should have caught how much he was off food and now I've lost my little velcro buddy who laid on my side or head on my arm under covers up to 20 hrs a day due to being old and disabled myself with it being to exhausting to get around myself.

I and he should have had months more but it tore me up watching him waste away and I was terrified thinking what if he didn't eat for another day and half I couldn't get him in until Monday and he was already staggering when walking roaming to backrooms by Friday morning instead of lying on me or in my arm like he did that Friday night. What kind of virus could he have picked up that would tear his intestinal system up like that after a clean bill of health?
Did I make the right decision?

At 67 disabled immune compromised not any quality of life having a overly demanding needy cat that touched my face while lying in my arm as a show of love constantly or to distract me from writing a post forcing me to crook my neck to watch TV because he had to have his face in my face all the time forcing himself up and under doing paperwork or reading something knowing he'd go down hill if I wasn't home with my husband being gone 7 yo 7 4 days a week and outside on weekends bushhogging acreage.

Tokinese are more needy than any dog I've seen.
Lost the need to keep going since my kids are grown and middle aged so he's a huge loss and I just need to know WTHH!

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so very sorry to read your post, and that your cat is gone.
We had him put ti sleep
Hopefully someone with experience can provide insight regarding what may have happened to cause this;
What kind of virus could he have picked up that would tear his intestinal system up like that after a clean bill of health?
In any case, your sweet Tonk baby wouldn't want to you to feel so badly, because you did what was right by him so that he didn't suffer.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I, too, am sorry for what happened and that you lost Mink. Sometimes, there are no explanations that can satisfy the 'whys' that, like you, so many of us have felt.

You did what you could and that is all that you - or any of us - can do. Mink lived a long life despite whatever went wrong in the end.

Rejoice in the time you had with him - that is what he would have wanted.

CuriousKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my healthy shiny 18 year old cat to vet last Friday only because vet required it to get refill of prasozine to help him pee because he hadn't seen Mink for a yeae. He had $360 in house Senior blood test with only his potassium being on the border line of being low and a slight murmur. Told he's in great shape for being 18 weighing 7.3lbs his typical life long weight.

Two days later he threw up and I saw him throw up couple more time over couple days noticed he wasn't eating but didn't catch it as a alarm because he's picky about food, got concerned. When he turned away from treats that he usually takes your finger off for late wens. night and on Thurs. night I caught that his litter had terrible diareah. Thursday night decided to take him to vet because I also realized that I'd been throwing out more food than usual and that he hadn't cleaned his bowl in a couple of days. Not unusual to throw food out he refuse to eat it after Sciemce diet prescription urine formula canned food is over two hours old chosing to eat Blue Buffalo kidney prescription dry instead which is self feed and always full.

I took him to vet this past FRIDAY 9:30 AM who questioned huge huge weight loss thinking the scale was off reflecting on blood test week earlier showed nothing wrong and since Mink had no fever still had a shiny coat bushe kind of disbelived he only weighed 6.3 lbs. now having LOST 10% of body weight whithin one week. Vet but stimulates in ear gave him flalgl fluids potassium and sent flagl home to give him but by 4 that evening was still gagging at food at smell though always drinking.

I called. picked up another 7 days stimulate and anti nausea pill to break in 4 to give daily because vet was sure he'd still pull through. Mink ate a few bites Friday night but by morning he was gagging and still gagged after nausea pill and stimulate. My vet was closed took him to another vet after confirming he was down to 5.lbs on my scale Sat at 2 he weighed 5.6 lbs on vet scale no temptation baffled him. Told him Mink had Senior panel clean bill of heath never outside only took to vet for refill of meds to keep him peeing after kidney stone blockage surgery 2 yrs earlier but he recovered completely though 50/50 with kidney level off back then. Hadn't had diareah since younger due to eating paper tape or something, never went outside and only pet.

He said he heard a slight murmur and based off being told from blood tests seed baffled. Thought maybe verified something but didn't see anything while feeling him. While explaining everything over that time and his history he still seemed baffled and said he wanted to do an ultrasound which showed a small leaking fluid sac on his intestines which complicated his recovery with age and virus he possibly picked up at vet.

Usually I hold Mink while vet checks him or blood drawn but my husband took him last Friday so to vet techs handled Mink and took him to backroom for blood draw thus exposing him.

We had him put ti sleep but I'm torn up can't stop crying feeling guilty as hell for not taking him because I wouldn't have risked contamination, should have caught how much he was off food and now I've lost my little velcro buddy who laid on my side or head on my arm under covers up to 20 hrs a day due to being old and disabled myself with it being to exhausting to get around myself.

I and he should have had months more but it tore me up watching him waste away and I was terrified thinking what if he didn't eat for another day and half I couldn't get him in until Monday and he was already staggering when walking roaming to backrooms by Friday morning instead of lying on me or in my arm like he did that Friday night. What kind of virus could he have picked up that would tear his intestinal system up like that after a clean bill of health?
Did I make the right decision?

At 67 disabled immune compromised not any quality of life having a overly demanding needy cat that touched my face while lying in my arm as a show of love constantly or to distract me from writing a post forcing me to crook my neck to watch TV because he had to have his face in my face all the time forcing himself up and under doing paperwork or reading something knowing he'd go down hill if I wasn't home with my husband being gone 7 yo 7 4 days a week and outside on weekends bushhogging acreage.

Tokinese are more needy than any dog I've seen.
Lost the need to keep going since my kids are grown and middle aged so he's a huge loss and I just need to know WTHH!
I have had a similar experience. I had a 15 year old cat, who was my fuzzy soulmate. I had her since she was a kitten. I took her to the vet for a standard checkup. Shortly after, she stopped eating. She had a couple episodes of diarrhea, stopped drinking, and was dropping weight. I was frantic. She had always been healthy her entire life. The vet always said she looked like she was half her actual age. I kept taking her back in every few days, and they would tell me she just had a stomach bug.