My Cat Gave Birth Yesterday But Has Left Nest And Was Leaving House Help

Sunflower41

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gave birth yesterday as was doing brillantly. This morning she was downstairs and away from kittens. I'm not sure what to do,I assumed she would stay with them constantly. We have litter tray,food and water near the nest. We have put her back in room with them and shut door for now. Have I done right thing,can anyone help please?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes you did right close her inside with kitens in her safe room

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, mom must stay with the kittens. They need her constantly for the first three weeks.

Weigh the kittens daily to make sure they are all thriving.

In addition, mom can get pregnant within a week of delivery and without going into heat. She needs to stay completely inside and away from intact males until the kittens are 8 weeks old and she can be spayed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I must add, its of course ok YOU as the caretaker, go into the room, and look see everything is OK. Good if you weigh the kittens daily, near the momma so she doesnt get nervous.
Its a good way to monitor the daily development.

So dont disturb them too much the first 2-3 weeks, but some contacts are necessary. If mamma shows she WANTS you near, please do so. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sunflower41

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone feel better knowing doing right thing as was worried. Thanks for all the advice really helpful as first time for me too

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully mom will settle in soon. It can take new moms a couple of days to adjust! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sunflower41

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully mom will settle in soon. It can take new moms a couple of days to adjust! :)
Thank you I think she's doing really well,think she wanted to go out to toilet but she's now using her litter box. Fingers crossed. Thanks again