My Cat Forgot About Me?

novakitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I’m not very experienced in these matters so this might be sort of stupid (I’m only 13), but it seems like my cat has forgotten about me.

I’ve been away from home for about two months at my grandparents, and when I returned home my cat just looked... blank.
She didn’t meow or purr when I came back, and kept ignoring me when I pet her.

She and I used to be very close, and I’m afraid she doesn’t remember me.
Another thing I noticed was that she doesn’t ‘talk’ anymore. She used to be extremely vocal and would purr all the time, but now I rarely hear her purr or meow.

She did, however, go through a lot while I was away.
She had her first litter of seven kittens a little while before I left. (My parents wouldn’t take me to get her spayed.), and my parents brought a new male cat to the house the day I arrived.
My father already gave away five out of her seven kittens, but two are still here
with her and the other male.

Does she not remember me, or is my cat just stressed? She acts like a whole new cat, and it’s been really upsetting me.
I’ve been here for around three days already and her disposition towards me has not changed.
Please help. I really missed her and I’ve had her for nearly a year and a half now.

Thanks, all help is appreciated.

sdkfjlasdf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats have dementia. I am not experienced on it as I only have a young kitten but there have been many cases of old cats going senile. :(

If she's not THAT old, maybe it's just that she doesn't recognize your scent. Give it some time and she will remember you again.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm glad you came here!
Your question and concern is definitely not dumb.

I think that she remembers you. It's just everything that she's been through since you've been away.

Just be yourself, don't stress because she will pick up on that, and let her become as relaxed as she can be.
If you can, try and get some chamomile tea bags (not loose leaves) and give your cat a couple of teaspoons a couple times a day.

Hang in there!!