My Cat Emma Just Died And She Left 3 3 Week Old Kittens.

thalianyieka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i reside in Barbados and my most loving daughter was taken from me by a reckless driver.The heartbreaking part is the fact that she had recently given birth to 3 lovely babies.My challenge is finding the adequate help in caring for them. They are not weened as yet and i need some pointers as to efficiently care for them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have kitten formula? You must feed them every 3-4 hours with a kitten bottle or syringe. They will need to drink as much as they want.

Are you doing this? They also need to be stimulated to go pee and poop by rubbing their genitals gently with a warm, damp cloth.

I am sorry about their mom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thalianyieka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately i was unable to get kitten formula tonight...im goin to try to get some tomorrow...however i gave them a mixture of goats milk, an egg yolk and corn karo syrup...is that ok enough until tomorrow and an also...i have been trying to stimulate them ..but they are not going. Another thing is i think they might have somhow gotten a cold...so im in need of assistance in how to deal with that as well

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goats milk is good, so the mixture you gave is even excellent. Not even I would think up anything better. You can calmly proceed with this.
Karo syrup isnt necessary if they are healthy, but nice addition if they are weak.

Keep them warm - if necessary with a heating pad or an IR warming lamp.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences on losing your precious mama-kitty. Are the kittens inside with you? They need to be kept in a comfortable nest in a cat crate or tall, large cardboard box with warm toweling or newspapers. Next chore up - using a cotton ball or dampened toilet paper, try stimulating them to go to the bathroom (pretend that you are a mama cat's tongue, gently 'changing their diaper'). Then you need to get them good formula and a delivery system (pet nursers or eyedroppers or syringe). If you haven't bottle-fed kittens before, the first rule is like the Hippocates' oath, "First, do no harm", which in this situation is being very careful that the kittens don't get formula down their throat (aspiration pneumonia is the danger), so keep their throat and nose level with each other. www.kitten-rescue.com (by TCS' own member, Hissy) has excellent information on hand raising kittens. Please keep us updated!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't have a heating pad, you can make a microwaveable one by putting rice or corn meal (I prefer cornmeal because it is softer) into a sock, preferably a tube sock. If you don't use a microwave, you can warm up the rice or cornmeal on the stovetop and funnel it into the sock (I like a wider mouthed funnel, such as cutting off the top of a juice bottle). I am sorry about the above post - the internet signal was messing up and nothing was sending till a few minutes ago. Your kitten formula sounds great! and if the kittens are at 3 weeks, they may begin going on their own soon.

Raymondwaskita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If there is no access to heating lamp or heating pad. Put a lukewarm water inside a bottle and wrapped it using a towel, make sure it feels like an adult cat temperature. ( put them close to the kittens but also give them rooms to move if the temperature is too hot). Change the water everytime it gets colder!. Hope the babies are safe and healthy!. You can also check the catlady's channel on youtube about how to bottlefeeds baby kittens.

And also "bathroom" tips

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The goat's milk and egg is a fine formula.

Are the kittens sneezing and have runny eyes?

That is probably a cold brought on by the herpes virus. It can turn into an upper respiratory infection.

Keep their eyes wiped clean, and if they are having trouble breathing, you can run the shower to create warm steam, then sit in the bathroom with them for a few minutes.

If it gets worse, they will need an antibiotic from the vet.

Are they eating well?

thalianyieka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
News update !!! They have been taking the formula relatively well ...all but one is taking to the new feeding method effecintly.( he prefers to suck it from my finger).My b.f and i are taking them to the vet a little later to see what is the problem with the cold.I have been cleaning their eyes and noses to rid of any mucus build up, an i have been following most of the guidlines given here. They are a bit squirmy when it comes to pee/poop time...but it is being handled.I have noticed that the smell and consistancy of there feces and urine are diff from before which gives me the belief that it is almost time for them to go on their own. (It is giving off a more tannic odor like that of an older cat) All in all, the first night was scary but we will pull through. WILL KEEP U GUYS POSTED !!!!%

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re the kitten whom wants to lick off from your finger. You can try with a little sponge, for example such used for make upp. He suckles the goats milk from it, and you are prepared with a dropper to drop on more...

Works nicely for some, worth a try. More efficient than sucking from the finger. :)

A kitten on 300 gram needs about 80 ml of goats milk every day. (the ratio is 8ml on 28-30gram body weigh)
Yolk is much fats and calories, so with added yolk perhaps slightly less - but you get the picture.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's a good idea to get them to a vet.

I am concerned that the kitten licking from your finger may not get enough.

Have you tried using a syringe?

thalianyieka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update an final entry for the day!! The kittens have seen the doctor and they have been given a good bill of health...the prescious one who has the cold is being treted with 1 ml of antibiotics until she shows signs of improvemen. They have been tried with solid food and they arr repsonding to it very well, so the need for a replacement milk source isnt necessary anymore. In all the babies are doing good an they will pull through, thanks so much for the pointers and the support!!! #proudcatmummyout

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is good news! You can still give the kittens a dish of formula to lap each day.

Watch the others in case they catch the cold too. :)