My Cat Cannot Catch A Mouse

le1112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently found out the reason my cat has been staying downstairs 24/7 (not even sleeping with me at night) is because there is a mouse (possibly mice) downstairs. My cat is not a hunter and it’s been over a week. I don’t want him to stay down there forever how do i get him back upstairs and his mind off of the problem so i can get rid of the mice? is there something wrong with my cat? why can’t he catch mice?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's likely that there are multiple mice down there. Can you pick him up and bring him upstairs until you can resolve the mice problem? There's nothing wrong with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

le1112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's likely that there are multiple mice down there. Can you pick him up and bring him upstairs until you can resolve the mice problem? There's nothing wrong with him.
is it normal that my cat doesn’t know how to catch mice?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes indoor cats won't recognize mice as food but instead will just want to play with them like toys. I don't think it means anything is wrong with your cat. Plus, as far as you know, he could have caught multiple mice already and hid them (cats sometimes hide their prey).

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is. Your cat has the natural instinct to try to hunt mice, but since you have been his "mother" (I read on the other thread that you bottle fed him), he has not been taught by his cat mother how to hunt propperly, nor has he practiced during his life.

Last edited: