My cat breathes very strangely after playing

gemmamiso

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is one year old. Always wants to play. But when she does, she walks away panting and breathing like this. Anyone know what it could be? For context, she plays with my 10 year old cat and he does not walk away panting.

here is a link to a video of her breathing:
November 25, 2023

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, have you had a chance to show that video to your vet? I didn't have the sound up, but there's no raspiness, sneezing etc?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gemmamiso

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, have you had a chance to show that video to your vet? I didn't have the sound up, but there's no raspiness, sneezing etc?
Hi, thx so much for your response. No raspiness or sneezing, but she wheezes a little bit on occasion. Unfortunately the vet near me wants almost a thounsand dollars every time I visit. I found her on the street on death’s door and I wish I could provide her with more routine vet care but I just can’t at the moment, unfortunately.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is one year old. Always wants to play. But when she does, she walks away panting and breathing like this. Anyone know what it could be? For context, she plays with my 10 year old cat and he does not walk away panting.

here is a link to a video of her breathing:
November 25, 2023
I'd definitely get her checked for athsma and in case it's a minor congenital heart murmur. Both of those conditions can cause panting in young kittens.

If you call your local shelters/rescues they might be able to recommend more cost-effective veterinary clinics. A local SPCA might even have one you can attend with your cat. Another trick, if you have a car or can get a ride is to call rural vets in surrounding areas. My MIL drives to a smaller town outside the city to go to the vet for non-emergencies.

In the meantime, try to do shorter bursts or less intense sessions. My vet told us to mind that Magnus doesn't overheat and that's helped during play. Magnus was diagnosed with a minor heart murmur after the same symptoms.