My cat ate almost a whole can of dr elseys this morning

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked online at a calculator that said she needs more than 230 calories. So 2 cans. Expensive. She is lean 9 pds so her weight is fine. I am assuming she throws up in the morning before eating food because her tummy has been empty for 10+ hrs. So lock her in the bedroom with me and leave out some ff on my bureau so the ants dont get it or should I buy an expensive timer with dry food though I do not want to give her dry. Or are there any small packages of dry to try on her

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are timed feeders for wet food as well, most come with an undercarriage for an ice pack - just look them up on the internet (something like: canned food timed feeders for cats). As far as the ants, setting a shallow pan of water underneath the bowl/dish/feeder will stop the ants. I have used this tactic outdoors and it has worked every time.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What calculator did you use? I've been going off what I've read around here for calories, that somewhere around 20-25cal per lb is good. So for my 9.5lb Echo, about 190 cal. Depending on what I'm feeding at the time (because I feed Rawz/Tiki right now) some days are a little higher and some are a little lower but I figure it evens out thorough the week.

But yeah timed feeder! I think Chewy has a bunch of different ones from simple to more elaborate, but definitely have seen ones that have place for an ice pack can't remember price points though

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
What calculator did you use? I've been going off what I've read around here for calories, that somewhere around 20-25cal per lb is good. So for my 9.5lb Echo, about 190 cal. Depending on what I'm feeding at the time (because I feed Rawz/Tiki right now) some days are a little higher and some are a little lower but I figure it evens out thorough the week.

But yeah timed feeder! I think Chewy has a bunch of different ones from simple to more elaborate, but definitely have seen ones that have place for an ice pack can't remember price points though
For calories,my cat is very active and her weight is good right now. She did not throw up this morning. I gave her some ff since miko is discontinued. Giving that at 4 am helped. So when I feed her the 5.5 oz of dr elseys it will not be a whole can anymore split 3 meals
Chewy does have feeders of just 2 portions for canned so I will try that. Luckily she knows when to stop. If the gum is in the broth it's not much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I go by instinct more than a calculator. I dont follow the 20-25 cal per pound. The calculator is not exact for her just gives you an idea of how much she needs. Not right! She is doing fine on117 cal so I'm not going to push it