My cat ate a little bit of plastic

maddz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey!! So,, I’ve already searched up some things and they have me REALLY scared so I hope to get help here. I looked over to my cat when I heard plastic and I saw she was eating it - I don’t know how large it is or anything and I have no idea what to do! I’ve heard to wait 2 days to see if she vomits or anything, but she usually vomits from eating and drinking too fast (it’s always been a thing). And I really have no idea what to do, should I wait for any changes to see what happens or go to a vet?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you aren't positive she swallowed some, I would wait. If you actually saw her do it, call the vet. She probably won't be able to pass it especially if it is hard plastic. The vet can do something to either make her poop or vomit it out in the safety of the clinic if a problem arises.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Was this hard plastic or soft plastic? That's the major question at this point, especially if you aren't even sure she ate it. IF it was soft plastic, I'd wait and watch. Hard plastic? I'd take her on in, as that can cause lacerations in the intestinal tract.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you are sure she ate some, call the vet. There are some soft plastics, like the super ball toy type, that turn to mush in the animals stomach and adhere to the stomach and intestines. Having said that, a previous GSD used to eat parts of puppy pads including the blue plastic and then poop out the whole thing. A lot depends on the type of plastic, shape and form, that you think she ate.