My cat ate 2 inches of string

200%CatPerson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat (1.5 years old) ate a piece of string yesterday. It’s from my bookmark string (which is attached to book) she ate the end of it. You can see it in the picture that end part is ripped off. It was about 2-2.5 inches long

D32F40F1-F27D-455B-AF8C-D8365F948D5E.jpeg

She ate it around 2PM And all of sudden she tried to puke around 10 PM, but she didn’t throw up anything but a little bit of clean foam.

But that was it.

She ate well, she plays well. But I noticed that she’s little bit more quiet than usual. Also she still comes to me, but not as much as yesterday. She seems like scared of me? Idk.. Maybe because she saw and me panicked and sense that I’m extremely anxious? Or she felt unconfortable? But she runs around the house and I saw her had her dinner like 30 minutes ago. And Now I’m playing with her with her favorite toy.

I checked her litter box earlier today, saw a little piece of poo but there was no string yet.

I googled and saw several posts from many other websites, their cat passed it like in 3-4 days.

Should I keep watching her and wait until she passes it? Or should I go to see the vet?

I’m just so worried and don’t know what to do.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Should come out soon. However, to ease your worries, you can ring your vet for now and see what he has to say.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you see her actually eat it?

To me, it looks more like she shredded the end and swallowed the little bits.

If she broke off the end and swallowed it, you'll probably see it in the litter box in a couple-three days.
If she just swallowed the shreds, it will still, probably, come out in the litter box but it might be harder to detect.

This, too, shall also pass... ;)

But, if you have any problems, get on the horn to your vet tout de suite!