My cat ate 12 8inch strings two weeks ago :(

Megan&Cleo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I just realized my cat ate 12 8-inch strings about two weeks ago (~ Nov 27). I found one in her stool today. And by investing her box of old stool, I found another. I throw away her box of old stool fairly recently so I dont know how many other strings were passed.

The strings are gold

Long story short. The strings that were meant for hanging Christmas ornaments. I thought my package of ornaments just came with too few strings but now I realized she must have got into them when I wasn't home. I left them on a shelf that I didn't think she had access to. I thought there were fewer strings than I remembered but I didn't think she could have ate 12 so I brushed it off.

On top of all this, she's been having ongoing diarrhea and scooting problems so I didn't make the connection that she ate linear foreign objects! I thought her symptoms were just related to her other issues.

She did have lack of appetite around Nov 27 and ongoing scooting from BEFORE that. I thought one of her other problems (anal gland infection or giardia) had come back. (This is her history up to mid Nov. persistent diarrhea in 7 month old cat after giardia, URI, anal gland issues )

I have no clue how many strings are still in her and I'm very worried. It's been more than 2 weeks and she's passing them. Is this weird?

She is currently eating and drinking and playing so that's good.

Could she suddenly go downhill if there are still strings inside her?
Should I wait or can the vet do something? My vet said: "an xray wouldn't show us string but might tell us if there was a concerning gas pattern". Im not sure what gas pattern means.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I attached a picture of the ornaments and gold string.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is VERY surprising that after two weeks she has just passed one of these. What did the Vet say about that length of time?

I would say that if nothing about how she is acting (eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, scooting, playing) is different today than it was the day before it happened, then you are probably good to go. But if you notice any changes, then I would take her in to be seen. They may not be able to actually see the strings, but they would be able to tell if one of them got wrapped around her bowel and is causing an obstruction. She would not be acting normal though, if that were to happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Megan&Cleo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Technically, more could have passed and I didn’t see them. I only inspected her stool today and then I inspected an old stool for yesterday so I found two strings total

The vet didn’t comment on the duration :( she texted me back an hour ago but I’m still waiting for her to call me.