My cat accidentally licked some human toothpaste

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat accidentally got some human toothpaste on her fur. She licked it without us noticing and when we noticed that she got some in her fur, we washed her up. I only knew that she ingested some while looking back at the CCTV.

She seems okay so far. No vomiting or diarrhea. I texted her vet and her vet mentioned that if there's no vomiting, it should be fine.

Anyone have any experience with cats accidentally eating human toothpaste?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You need to see if there is xylitol in it. Also you should call poison control and they can give you more information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. You need to see if there is xylitol in it. Also you should call poison control and they can give you more information.
There's no xylitol in it. There's only fluoride. I don't think Singapore have a poison control, maybe there is but I'm not too sure, can't find it in Google. Her vet mentioned that it shouldn't be any issues but I'm too sure if that's so.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monitor how she is acting and go by that. If she continues to act normally, she will be fine. Cats digestive systems are comletely different then ours, i really think she would have had to eat a large amount for it to hurt her. And if she ahd, she would be vomiting and acting differeent. REGULARLY ingested toothpaste can be harmful to their bones, ect. but a one time ingestion should turn out OK.

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
TeaMatcha TeaMatcha , I don't think a little toothpaste consumption would hurt her, licking a little off her fur was probably not that much and she probably hated the taste more than we can think, from what I've saw over the years from my colony members, cats have a stronger stomach than most think.......If she consumed a bunch, that would be different, AND if it affected her belly, you'd probably know within a couple hours.............