My Cat Abandon Her First Kitten/premature

Sara41

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Boo had 2 kittens yesterday. I was in my bedroom & I heard meowing, I figured it was one of my other cats because they always crys for treats. Ab 10 minutes later I went to the bathroom - could hear it better & realized it was a quiet weak sounding cry. Immediately I knew Boo had her kittens, but I couldn't see them only boo. She was laying on the bottom step but her kitten was on the floor infront of her crying on its back w the placenta still attached!! I picked the kitten up & it was as cold as ice. I thought for a fact this kitten was going to die. I went & got a heating pad put it under a blanket & put boo on the blanket & her kitten lyed there for ab 10-15 minutes she still didn't lick it or anything. So I got my other cat who had kittens not too long ago & put her up to the kitten & she started licking the placenta , then boo started licking the placenta & ate it. I put the kitten up to boos stomach to give her milk & she wouldn't drink it at first so I thought for sure she was just going to die. Then ab 20 minutes later I touched the kitten again just to see if it was still cold & it was warm & drinking her milk. The kitten is very very smaller than usual. The only place the kitten doesn't have hair is on its belly & half of its arms. I found the crying kitten around 3 o'clock pm. I knew boo had more in her because she was panting. I was getting ready to take boo to 24hrvet because 3 hours passed & she didn't have any more & was bleeding a little bit & then I heard her let out this big wail & I looked & the kitten was coming out! She had the 2nd kitten at 6pm.... this kitten was somewhat bigger than the first 1 but didn't cry after being born she immediately ate the placenta off & cleaned that 1 up , it's now the next day & the kittens have been drinking milk all day long. ALSO I FINALLY GOT MY OTHER CATS SPAYED 6/19 I DIDNT ALOE BOO TO HAVE AN ABORTION BECAUSE I JUST DIDNT SORRY TO WHOM THAT BOTHERS BOO WILL BE GETTING SPAYED ASAP anyways. My questions here are is it normal for a cat to have only 2 kittens? Is there a chance they could die because they are premature? Is there still kittens in boo because she keeps sitting in a birth position? (She is no longer bleeding)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, its fully possible with 2 kittens. but she may have more, it almost sounds so. Now, pauses, shorter or longer arent uncommon, so as far as she is OK no visible troubles, observe but you can wait and see.

What we dont want is prolong active pushing without results... Maximum one hour, some say even maximum 40 minutes. The active pushing phase is shorter with cats than with humans.

If there are any problems, contact the vet.

OK, to your little premature. She seems OK, good you helped her with warming up, and aunts assistance... But as the kitten perked up and now eats on its own, there is very good hope.

You must of course be observant, and ready to step in and supplement feed it... She may for example be a weak suckler - in such cases feeding by hand with a needleless syringe is the trick - here its enough she swallows properly...

Its important you weigh her every day - now in the critical phase every 12 hours. If she gains 6+ grammes a day, good, if not, you must step in. Eeasy peasy. Best are electronical scales measuring in grammes, but almost any kitchen or postal scale will do. They dont need to be fancy nor costly. If you dont have no such, go immediately and buy or borrow from someone.
So, you will need; a scale, a little needless syringe or dropper, kmr - best is the brand of KMR in powder, but there are other good brands. Goats milk is OK to use - raw goats milk may even be excellent...

A heating pad you do already have, good. Honey or white caro syrup - may be necessary in some situations.

Come back with reports and questions - its almost always someone here ready to try to help.