My Bottle Baby's Eye Is Swollen!?

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone one of my Big 3 bottle babies eye is swollen! I'm not sure what to do. They are about 10 days old right now. I've included pics.Its not that easy to see but it is her left eye. anyone see this before??

Big 3! Kevin, Kate, and Randall together.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did her eye open, and then close and get stuck? Or did it just start swelling without opening?

A good way to start is to get a very clean, warm wet washcloth and gently soak the eye with clean warm water. See if you can get it to open on its own just from gently soaking it. (Not forcing the eyelids open.) That will help you to evaluate the situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they have not opened their eyes yet. they ar about 12 days old.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's likely that there is some pus and infection under the lid. The kitten needs to see the vet.

In the meantime, you can try to gently encourage the eyelids to open by soaking the eye with a very clean, warm wet washcloth.

Once the eyelids open, it is important for any pus to drain, and you need to make sure they don't get stuck shut again. You will probably also need to apply antibiotic drops or ointment, which you can get from the vet.

(If you cannot get to a vet, Terramycin eye ointment is available without a prescription, but it would be much better if the vet can look at it!)

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shes a foster baby but they can't see her til Wednesday....

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh my! i went and put a warm compress on it and within seconds it exploded with puss. It seems to have all come out but it was a lot of puss. I will keep an eye on her eye til she gets in on Wednesday.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good that it is draining! Keep it as clean as you can until you can see the vet.