My baby’s left eye is a bit red and crusty- can I wait until my vet opens Monday or do I need to go to the EV?

caterpiesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello! i’m hannah, and i’m new to this site! i am the mom of a two y/o male cat named caterpie (yes, like the pokemon). in the short time that ive had him, caterpie’s been through a lot. long story short, he has environmental allergies bad enough that he requires an allergy shot monthly, he’s allergic to most commonly used animal proteins in food, and he has some gi issues. ive spent so much time and money on his health, but it’s all been worth it. now he doesnt scratch lesions into himself and he’s really come out of his shell.

basically, tonight i noticed that his left eye (the inner corner) was red, irritated looking, and had some eye crusties. attached is a video of both of his eyes for comparison. i’m worried, so a vet visit is in order, but can i wait until my vet opens on monday (it’s saturday now) or is that too risky? id really rather not take him to the emergency vet again- it’s such an upsetting experience for both of us. we were also JUST at the vet on thursday (sigh). BUT i wanted to get some input. i’m also very cautious about his health due to the traumatic year we had. lots of scared, sleepless nights.

other info: he’s not lethargic, he’s eating normally, and he isnt scratching or itching his eye. the eye is fully open and clear despite the redness first attached photo is normal eye, second is of red eye.

i really appreciate this community and i am happy to have found it (albeit under worrying circumstances). thank you all
IMG_8385.jpeg
IMG_8390.jpeg

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you're fine to wait. If you have any chamomile tea, you can brew a cup, let it steep, remove the bag, and let it cool. They you can use the tea on a cotton ball or washcloth and dab on the eye to soothe it.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You should be able to wait. Just make sure he isn't rubbing his eye on anything.