My all black foster cat needs a forever home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Leaving at ca. 6 a.m. tomorrow, Patrick and I are expected in Bakersfield at 11 with Sandy scheduled to go to Fresno by 11:15. Patrick should arrive in his new home shortly after 3 p.m. This is really scheduled tightly with two more people handling Patrick after Sandy. Maybe I'll be home again by the time Patrick arrives in his new home. Getting a little sad now.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

I know how you feel. My foster kittens are going to new homes in a few weeks and I know I'm going to really miss them. I think you know that sending Patrick to a new home is going to be what is best for him. You've done a great job of taking care of him. Understanding when it's time to let go and allow someone else to step in is a big part of being a cat guardian.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, it's done. Sandy, who picked up Patrick in Bakersfield has already called me to tell me she has handed Patrick over to Andy in Chowchilla and that he did really well, no crying.
He did not want to go in the carrier but once he was in it he calmed down right away and cuddled up in the litter box with the nice clean and probably warm litter. He objected to the carrier being transported down to the garage and into the car but once there I did not hear another peep until we went over the Grapevine Pass which is 4,000 feet high and my ears popped several times and I'm sure that hurt his ears too. He did not have any breakfast and he did not eat or drink anything once I got him to Bakersfield, I hope he will eat once he gets to is new home. He also did not poop last night and that is not good. He will need an extra dose of MiraLax before he retires for the night so I hope that his new mom will contact me today. I do so worry about him, he does not need to be stuffed up as soon as he gets to a new home.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am thrilled this occurred as planned today, and I do hope you hear soon from his new mom.

Patrick may be a little off for a few days as he adjusts, but hopefully you can speak by phone with his new mom and advise her further about his issues.

Do keep us posted!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to the new mom's daughter Patrick is at her house and doing well but still has not eaten. She expected nothing different because he had a big day due to the transport. I do wish the new mom would call me. His constipation cannot be allowed to last more than 2 days at the most or he will end up at the vet again to be cleaned out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have her phone number or can you get it to pass on health information?

Hopefully he will eat and poop soon!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have her phone number or can you get it to pass on health information?

Hopefully he will eat and poop soon!
There is a message board on Facebook where the various people who were involved in the transport posted and I put it there but I have not received a response. I do NOT have a phone number or an address of the new mom which is rather upsetting. I would like to keep in contact for a while and see how Patrick is adjusting, get a pic of him and the new mom etc. Catwoman707 who set it all in motion has been very quiet about the whole thing. I am not happy and separation anxiety has set in.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whose numbers do you have? Contact whoever you can to pass on the message that you need to speak with Patrick's new owner to put your mind at ease and to discuss his health issues.

As for the Facebook group, hopefully you will hear news soon there too.

I understand your anxiety since you have not heard back yet. Give it a day or two. It's all new since yesterday. I'm sure you'll hear from someone soon.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whose numbers do you have? Contact whoever you can to pass on the message that you need to speak with Patrick's new owner to put your mind at ease and to discuss his health issues.

As for the Facebook group, hopefully you will hear news soon there too.

I understand your anxiety since you have not heard back yet. Give it a day or two. It's all new since yesterday. I'm sure you'll hear from someone soon.

I sent you a PM.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any update on how Patrick is doing?
The new people are not giving me more than bare-bones info, just that he is doing well but is not sociable and has scratched and even bitten someone who wanted to "care" for him. That probably meant someone wanted to pick him up and once he/she did wanted him not to leave and he insisted and thus bit/scratched that person. They had been warned that he did not like to be picked up, that everything had to be done on his term. I have asked questions, I was very specific, but they are not being answered. I'll just have to get used to the idea that the new people do not want to keep in contact and that catwoman707 has made sure that Patrick has a good new home.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Patrick is eating, drinking and pooping well. Katie said he's kind of a butt....haha!
I said from the beginning he is not going to be friendly and outgoing but in time will warm up on his terms.

He is with Jackie, the daughter rather than the mom who was taking him originally.
This is because nobody knew he tested positive for the corona virus and she has other cats so she didn't feel comfortable with exposing them.
I did explain that sooner or later at some point they all are exposed, so we'll see.

Regardless, no need to be worried, he is in good hands, and nobody will let anything happen to him, he will be cared for and eventually well loved and spoiled.
They are as much of cat lovers as I am, so I know he will do fine!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Patrick is eating, drinking and pooping well. Katie said he's kind of a butt....haha!
I said from the beginning he is not going to be friendly and outgoing but in time will warm up on his terms.

He is with Jackie, the daughter rather than the mom who was taking him originally.
This is because nobody knew he tested positive for the corona virus and she has other cats so she didn't feel comfortable with exposing them.
I did explain that sooner or later at some point they all are exposed, so we'll see.

Regardless, no need to be worried, he is in good hands, and nobody will let anything happen to him, he will be cared for and eventually well loved and spoiled.
This is great news!! Yay Patrick!! :cheerleader: :bunnydance:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When I first heard about Patrick allegedly having FIP I contacted Patrick's vet and this is what he said:
There was a mild corona virus detected on 07072015, there was no clinical sign of FIP on him.
A positive FCV titer indicates exposure to a corona virus. It does not differentiate between FIP, feline enteric corona virus exposure, or vaccination. Diagnosis of FIP should be based on history, physical examination, and other laboratory findings.
The vet also commented that he wondered what kind of FIP test had been done there and if the corona virus was found or FIP, and did Patrick show any clinical signs of FIP.
This of course was before you had talked to Katie who had said that Patrick had FIP. Patrick's vet declared Patrick to be healthy and no danger to other cats.
Since he had lived with me for 3 years and showed no signs of sickness beyond his pooping problem, I have other cats who are not sick either I'm confident that Patrick has not given anything to them either.
I do thank you though for giving me more info than I had before about Patrick's well being.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad to know you feel better and trust he will be well cared for.

Nobody thought that he had FIP, ever.
The concern came when his records indicated a positive result for the corona titer, meaning he may pass this mild virus to her cats, which makes it possible but unlikely that her adult cats, once exposed to corona can develop FIP. Without corona exposure it is impossible to get FIP.
I explained all about this not being an issue, that nearly all cats at some point will have corona exposure, that it's a very mild virus, etc and I think it helped ease her mind somewhat, at least I hope so.