My 6wk old kitten wont eat.

Luckylevy13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6wk old kitten refuses 2 eat wet or dry food it will only feed off its mam & drink kitten milk but runs away from the normal kitten food ive tried all different types & still nothing what should I do plz help.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a very little bit slow about transitioning to solid food, but it's not really a problem. Have you tried to make a 'kitten smoothie' of KMR and wet kitten food? You might have to try bottle feeding him the slurry to start, but he'll probably take to it easily. Needs to be mostly KMR and very sloppy to start out with. If he doesn't take a bottle, you can try feeding it to him on a finger and then leading him to a dish. Use a flat dish with low sides or a saucer. He'll probably walk in the food, but he'll get the hang of it.

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, welcome to the cat site. Its perfectly normal that your kitten is still drinking from its mom. Most kittens are 8- 10 weeks old by the time they are completely weaned off of milk. It's probably best to wait another week but you certainly could try what vince mentioned above.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luckylevy13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a very little bit slow about transitioning to solid food, but it's not really a problem. Have you tried to make a 'kitten smoothie' of KMR and wet kitten food? You might have to try bottle feeding him the slurry to start, but he'll probably take to it easily. Needs to be mostly KMR and very sloppy to start out with. If he doesn't take a bottle, you can try feeding it to him on a finger and then leading him to a dish. Use a flat dish with low sides or a saucer. He'll probably walk in the food, but he'll get the hang of it.
I've tried all that & everything else his brothers & sister ( who is the same age as him)has took 2 it all no bother but it doesn't matter what I try he will only feed from his mam should I speak 2 a vet about it.

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've tried all that & everything else his brothers & sister ( who is the same age as him)has took 2 it all no bother but it doesn't matter what I try he will only feed from his mam should I speak 2 a vet about it.
Yeah you can reach out to your vet if you want, they will probably say the same thing but it doesn’t hurt to ask

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that at this point, he is between weaning and not. Try the suggestions and see if he transitions. Is he healthy in other respects or do you see anything wrong or different from the other kittens?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's going to be all right, I think. If you would feel reassured discussing it with a vet, by all means do so. Every cat's different. My mother had a cat who suckled when he could until he was perhaps a year or so old. He was completely normal in every other respect. Some never quite lose the urge to suckle and begin "smurgling," nursing on skin or clothes.

What's probable is that as his larger teeth come in, he'll start to bite while nursing and mama will cut him off.