My 5 week kitten has a bald tail tip

Found3CatsInDumpster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help. Does anyone know what is this ....
it looks like ringworm but I heard ringworm is contagious, and her other 2 siblings are fine.
I just brought her to see a vet to do a body checkup, but I didn't see this tail tip so I didn't ask about it...
should I make another appointment with the vet and spend another 100...? :(
IMG_4554.jpg

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! :hellocomputer: Talk to the vet on the phone first before you make another appointment. It's very possible that the vet did notice the tail tip but maybe wasn't concerned about it. I agree the tail tip doesn't look good, but some cats repeatedly chew and lick certain parts of their bodies to the point where the fur is gone. Maybe that's all it is...good luck and let us know what you find out.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Since you just went to the vet, I would call back and ask if the vet saw it and would like to give you an update or, if he did not, would they let you send a picture of it. Try to get a good pic, maybe close up, more than one angle, if they allow that. Personally, I would push the point a little bit if they tell you that he did not see it and want another visit at full charge. As for what it looks like, It is a little hard to tell so I am making big guesses. It does not look like ringworm, but no guarantees on that. I wonder if he has been self mutilating the tail which is part of feline hyperesthesia syndrome. How long has it been there? It almost looks old to me. If the tail is mutilated, you might have to take some steps both medically and behaviorally to try to help your cat. If it is necrotic tissue, the vet has to see it. However, as a five week old kitten found in a dumpster, if I am reading you correctly, it could be an infection or injury, which takes us back to the vet does need to tell you what is going on. I don't think that FSH might be it, but you can bring all of this up to the vet when you talk to him. Thank you for helping this poor kitten.