My 4ferals

Dkuhn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I now have 4 registered and just altered and notched cats. These four 3 females ànd 1male had been running around near my home for over a year. I am on a fixed income. My granddaughter and her friend registered them, trapped them and had them altered last week.
Now that they realize that I will feed them regularly, they are no longer frantic for food everytime I go outside. They have learned that I will feed them regularly. They patiently wait as I prepare their dish and now there is no wolfing down food and growling.
They don't trust me enough yet to let me touch them but, hope time will change that.
We have a 2 story outdoor weather proof cat house arriving today. So, should I put in towels, cedar chips or what for their bedding? We want them to stay feed, warm and dry. I appreciate any suggestions.
IMG_20231004_172906228.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS.

Thank you so much for taking care of these cats.

Most people suggest using straw as bedding in outdoor shelters as it stays dry and keeps the cats warm. If the shelters are 100% waterproof and you don't have to worry about the bedding getting damp blankets will be fine as well.

I use both in my feral cat shelter.

Blankets are easier to wash when they get dirty, straw can be replaced every few months when it starts to smell a bit musty. Even if the shelters are waterproof the straw and blankets will get a little damp just from the warmth of the cats bodies.

Do you have names for your little family yet?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it gets cold there, you can put in heated cat pads, then put blankets over them or use the fleece cover that comes with them. The heat dries out any moisture. I have used mine for ten years now. K&H on Amazon sells a lot of them.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used outdoor pet approved heat pads in my feral outdoor shelters. It kept them really nice and warm. The only problem with the blankets/towels are that they can become damp and trap in the dampness. If a cat comes into the shelter and they are wet from rain/snow, they get on the blanket and the wet stays. It's harder for the cat to stay warm.

Stray (not hay) is a good option, yet I have found that some cats do not like the straw. It does keep them warm.

If you don't have electricity nearby, they do sell self warming mats. Yet you would need to check them daily for wet/dampness.

They also sell microwave heat discs. You heat them in the microwave and then can bury them in straw or wrap in blanket. Yet they only stay warm a few hours.

Thank you for taking care of these babies. Getting them spayed/neutered waw just the best!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dkuhn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS.

Thank you so much for taking care of these cats.

Most people suggest using straw as bedding in outdoor shelters as it stays dry and keeps the cats warm. If the shelters are 100% waterproof and you don't have to worry about the bedding getting damp blankets will be fine as well.

I use both in my feral cat shelter.

Blankets are easier to wash when they get dirty, straw can be replaced every few months when it starts to smell a bit musty. Even if the shelters are waterproof the straw and blankets will get a little damp just from the warmth of the cats bodies.

Do you have names for your little family yet?
I do! In the picture, with her back to us is Patches, then her sister Suri, (going clockwise) next is Oma. I think she is the mother of the first two. Last but not least is Joe but, for some reason, I frequently catch myself calling him Tom!
At first, my husband was not onboard with me caring for them. However, he has ordered that house that is coming and used a couple of insulated boxes from Misfit Market to make them a temporary warm place. Thank you for asking. I have 2 altered indoor cats. My little male is Nutmeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
At first, my husband was not onboard with me caring for them
My husband wasn't too happy about me caring for feral cats at first either, but now he's as obsessed as I am. The last cat we took in was a tiny feral kitten he picked up and brought home.

You have some lovely cats there, I bet they really appreciate everything you're doing for them.

:heartshape: